Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Grrrr...pinked jelly rolls >

Grrrr...pinked jelly rolls

Grrrr...pinked jelly rolls

Old 10-31-2010, 12:35 AM

I bought a Jelly Roll pattern book last year at our quilting show. Great book have already made two quilts and one top out of it, no problem...
My bad move lately was buying three jelly rolls on the internet and not realising - wasn't in pics - that the edges were pinked!!
My poor machine is so clogged I swear I will never again buy the pinked, I will ALWAYS email and ask if they are straight cut.
Bad enough the bits everywhere when you open the jelly roll, the bits on the ironing board when pressing seams but my poor machine had to suffer too..

Sorry about that, just had to stop CLEANING and have a gripe.
Old 10-31-2010, 12:50 AM

I had the same with a small jelly roll I bought. Not on the internet but I just couldn't see it untill I was home and unrolled it.
Old 10-31-2010, 02:37 AM

I have a couple jelly rolls....gifts,that I haven't looked at.Most of the charm packs...5" sqs are also pinked.Haven't had a prob so far, but I do check machine for lint pretty often.

Originally Posted by BevD
I bought a Jelly Roll pattern book last year at our quilting show. Great book have already made two quilts and one top out of it, no problem...
My bad move lately was buying three jelly rolls on the internet and not realising - wasn't in pics - that the edges were pinked!!
My poor machine is so clogged I swear I will never again buy the pinked, I will ALWAYS email and ask if they are straight cut.
Bad enough the bits everywhere when you open the jelly roll, the bits on the ironing board when pressing seams but my poor machine had to suffer too..

Old 10-31-2010, 02:38 AM

Oh crap! :thumbdown: I just got 2 jellyrolls to use to make window quilts for my daughter and they are pinked. First time I got pinked ones and had no idea they would be "dirty" for sewing machine. :oops:
Old 10-31-2010, 03:00 AM

Just looked at my 2 jelly rolls & they are pinked, but you really have to look hard to see it. The blocks in my avatar were made using pinked 5" charms & no problem at all.

Originally Posted by GladGrams
Oh crap! :thumbdown: I just got 2 jellyrolls to use to make window quilts for my daughter and they are pinked. First time I got pinked ones and had no idea they would be "dirty" for sewing machine. :oops:
Old 10-31-2010, 03:11 AM

justme2 if you had to look hard to see they were pinked you are lucky...mine are easily seen on the roll, don't know what they used but I'll be very careful next time.

Got our annual Quilt & Craft Fair this weekend in Adelaide so will keep my eyes open for straight cuts. My once a year big splurge is at the Quilt Fair so really looking forward to that :)
Old 10-31-2010, 03:14 AM

Same here Bev - the pinking makes the size too variable as well! And the mess it makes - grrrr. I hate housework at the best of times.

Enjoy the Quilt and Craft Fair, and remember to take a back pack or a shopping trolley - easier to carry stuff in!
Cheers
Rain
Old 10-31-2010, 03:20 AM

Not only that, but have you noticed that these rolls and the bali pops are not always true cut to 2 1/2 inches. sometimes as much as 3/16 to 1/4 inch off. That can be a disaster in a quilt of any size. Have pattern that requires 2 1/2 in strips and 1 1/4 inch strips. Pretty difficult to make these work. On another pattern had to trim each strip down to 2 1/4 in and rework the whole pattern as a result. Think they should be cut wider if they can not cut them true to 2 1/2 in. Won't be buying them again.
Old 10-31-2010, 03:24 AM

Yes, the jelly rolls take some looking,but the pinked edges are wider on the charms.I just put edges together & sew with quarter inch foot.
Enjoy the big quilt show, sounds great.

justme2 if you had to look hard to see they were pinked you are lucky...mine are easily seen on the roll, don't know what they used but I'll be very careful next time.

Got our annual Quilt & Craft Fair this weekend in Adelaide so will keep my eyes open for straight cuts. My once a year big splurge is at the Quilt Fair so really looking forward to that :)
Old 10-31-2010, 03:29 AM

Sure have, the one I'm using at the moment is beautiful fabric but they aren't all true 2 1/2 inch strips. Even where the fold is it is wider than the rest.
A lady from one of the quilt stalls last year told me they are all laser cut, but I don't think so or they would all be true sizes.
I love the idea of jelly rolls they are so quick to use but they seem to be getting a little bit lax at times with the cutting. *sigh*