Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hand Quilting Paper Piecing >

Hand Quilting Paper Piecing

Hand Quilting Paper Piecing

Old 06-22-2012, 03:52 AM

Is it your stitching that you're not happy with or the quilting design you've chosen that you're not happy with? Your stitching is definitely getting better! That just takes practice as you've seen. Sometimes it's really difficult to pick a quilting design. In my opinion, especially with a quilt like yours. If you want the quilt itself to do all the 'talking' I'd probably do as you're doing, using the same color thread as each piece that you're quilting. That way the quilting itself is not as noticeable. If you want the quilting to be more noticeable maybe a more meandering, all-over design in a somewhat neutral color. I'm having the same issue with a similar quilt. It's a pp'd New York Beauty block. It's been a WIP for a couple of years now because I can't figure out how I want to quilt it! To say nothing of the bazillion seams in that thing.
Old 06-22-2012, 04:47 AM

Originally Posted by LyndaOH View Post
Tiger Tape also helps you keep an even distance from the seam. I find marking is really important in hand quilting, even when you're quilting 1/4" from the seam. It's easy to drift.

You are being too hard on yourself, but as was suggested I would start on something smaller.
I am getting ready to do my first hand quilting and after researching the web, I bought the Tiger Tape. I think it will help me with my spacing and my stitch length.
Old 06-23-2012, 03:41 PM

your stitches are definitely improving. you might want to try the medium grey however if you want it to disappear more.