Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
HandiQuilter Avante Thread Break Question >

HandiQuilter Avante Thread Break Question

HandiQuilter Avante Thread Break Question

Old 09-22-2013, 07:32 PM

Default HandiQuilter Avante Thread Break Question

I'm having a problem with my Avante......frequent thread breaks! The upper thread just shreds and wads up around the takeup lever. I've checked the needle placement, the needle size with relation to the thread; I'm using Superior threads so I know it is quality; and the tension looks great; has anyone else had this problem or can you make suggestions on a cure??? I'm stumped! Thanks for any advice.
Old 09-23-2013, 04:16 AM
Power Poster

Is it doing it with all threads? Maybe it's getting caught up somewhere before the takeup lever? Are you sure the tension is OK? I would also get out the manual and carefully re-thread, maybe you are missing an eye somewhere. The only other thing I can think of is there's a nick in the take up lever, but I don't even know how that could happen.
Old 09-23-2013, 04:29 AM
Power Poster

if the thread is shredding- maybe the needle has a 'burr'? I would change needles, completely re-thread from spool- and try again- if it is still breaking- time to try a different thread- even when you use a thread you've used hundreds of times- sometimes plain & simple- it's the thread this time...I've caused myself all kinds of stress/frustration-spent hours trouble shooting- then finally switched thread & all is well. just one of those things- when all else fails- try different thread.
Old 09-23-2013, 06:59 AM
Power Poster

I agree change the needle and change thread.
Old 09-23-2013, 07:43 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by leggz48 View Post
I'm using Superior threads so I know it is quality;

The manufacturer of the thread is no assurance that there isn't a problem with the thread. Superior brand Rainbows and Highlights are both known problematic threads, prone to shredding and breaking. So much so that Superior has discontinued Highlights. These threads need a lower than normal upper tension setting. They like almost no tension.

Additionally I have know superior threads to have a defective cone now and then. Even the best manufacturers can have a mishap.

Try changing needles and threads, test the machine, if the problem goes away, then go back to the problem thread. If you continue to have shredding and breakage you may have a defective spool/cone of thread. If the problem persists with other threads, time to take out your bobbin case and carefully inspect as well as turning your hook assembly manually and feel for rough spots. A burr on the bobbin case or hook can also cause your upper thread to shred and break but it will do it after only a few stitches. You can smooth them out with an emory board type fingernail file.
Old 09-23-2013, 10:29 AM

When that happened to me on my HQ 16 I changed thread and no problem. I took the thread back to the dealer and they told me it was bad and replaced it for free. Hey, if even I can break the thread with my hands then something really is wrong with the thread.

I had already put in a new needle, though I changed that too. Evidently the industry standard of bad needles is quite high no matter who the manufacturer is. Point discussed in my HQ group: the titanium needle if it breaks can harm your machine while if a regular needle breaks it harms only the needle.
Old 11-03-2013, 06:32 PM

I am having trouble with this problem today... I changed thread, needle, checked bobbin and rethreaded. It works without breaking on the spare fabric on the side of the quilt, but then on the quilt it breaks. The top is something like minky, it's call "oh so soft". I am half way through it and have change thread 4 times.

I guess I will rest, have some tea and try again later.