Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Has anyone made a biscuit quilt before? >

Has anyone made a biscuit quilt before?

Has anyone made a biscuit quilt before?

Old 02-10-2014, 07:04 AM

beautiful quilt, precious furbabies.
Old 02-10-2014, 07:21 AM

I just recently made a pillow using that technique. I used 6 inch squares of muslin for the bottom and 4.5" squares of prints for the top. I sewed three sides, stuffed, then combined squares to stitch the open side(s). It was pretty forgiving – at one point the seam line showed, so I stitched again a little higher and all was well, the front design wasn't affected at all.

I did feel quite done with that technique after making 16 little pillows. I wouldn't mind having another pillow, but I don't know that I would ever attempt a quilt or even a baby blanket. But that's just me, I have a short attention span

[ATTACH=CONFIG]461543[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails puff-pillow-smaller.jpg  
Old 02-10-2014, 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by willferg View Post
I just recently made a pillow using that technique. I used 6 inch squares of muslin for the bottom and 4.5" squares of prints for the top. I sewed three sides, stuffed, then combined squares to stitch the open side(s). It was pretty forgiving – at one point the seam line showed, so I stitched again a little higher and all was well, the front design wasn't affected at all.

I did feel quite done with that technique after making 16 little pillows. I wouldn't mind having another pillow, but I don't know that I would ever attempt a quilt or even a baby blanket. But that's just me, I have a short attention span

[ATTACH=CONFIG]461543[/ATTACH]
Were your bottom squares bigger than your top squares???? The top square should be bigger because that is where the puffiness comes from.
Old 02-10-2014, 07:28 AM

Leesa, I can picture you now handstitching away on those biscuits! This looks like a lot of fun.
Old 02-10-2014, 07:51 AM
Power Poster

Yes, I have made at least 10 biscuit quilts. Four queen, one full and and one long twin and 4 Crib size.
They have a quilt design but, actually comforters. I tied them. I don't have any pictures of them but, I do have one for us. It is too warm for us to use, so it is put away.

The top square is cut at 4" and bottom square is 3", you sew putting a small pleat in three sides, loosely stuff with poly fiberfil ball and sew the top like the other sides. Don't over fill or it will be very hard to sew the rolls together.

Last edited by Jingle; 02-10-2014 at 07:54 AM.
Old 02-10-2014, 08:50 AM

I made one last year to fit our Queen size bed. I used 5 inch top squares and 4 inch muslin for the bases. I also made a double bed size one several years ago. They can be either machine or hand sewn. If I ever make another, I will use 5 inch bases. The one thing I will caution you about is use a good quality stuffing and do not try to make the puffs really fat. Really fat puffs are a pain to sew together. I made that mistake on the first one, I also used cheap stuffing and all the puffs started to flatten after just a few washings. One trick I have learned to tell generic stuffing from great stuffing is to pinch the bag, and try to slide your fingers back and forth. Great stuffing will feel smooth and slippery. Generic stuffing will not be slippery feeling. Generic stuffing will flatten and ruin the look of your puffs. The Queen size I made took 504 puffs. I used a large plastic bags to corral the puffs the first time, and two large totes the second time. I did learn a valuable lesson the second time though, never back a biscuit quilt with flannel. When it needs to be washed, I have to take it to a laundromat to use a "big boy" washer because when it is wet, my home machine will not survive the weight. Thought of that after the binding was done. Duh.
Old 02-10-2014, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by madamekelly View Post
I made one last year to fit our Queen size bed. I used 5 inch top squares and 4 inch muslin for the bases. I also made a double bed size one several years ago. They can be either machine or hand sewn. If I ever make another, I will use 5 inch bases. The one thing I will caution you about is use a good quality stuffing and do not try to make the puffs really fat. Really fat puffs are a pain to sew together. I made that mistake on the first one, I also used cheap stuffing and all the puffs started to flatten after just a few washings. One trick I have learned to tell generic stuffing from great stuffing is to pinch the bag, and try to slide your fingers back and forth. Great stuffing will feel smooth and slippery. Generic stuffing will not be slippery feeling. Generic stuffing will flatten and ruin the look of your puffs. The Queen size I made took 504 puffs. I used a large plastic bags to corral the puffs the first time, and two large totes the second time. I did learn a valuable lesson the second time though, never back a biscuit quilt with flannel. When it needs to be washed, I have to take it to a laundromat to use a "big boy" washer because when it is wet, my home machine will not survive the weight. Thought of that after the binding was done. Duh.
just wanted to add pictures.
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg  
Old 02-10-2014, 09:21 AM

Love your quilt and those adorable furry babies!!!!!! They love your quilt too!!!

Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn View Post
I made one. I used a tutorial off YouTube but I don't know the link- sorry! I used 5" charm squares and 4" muslin squares (if and that is a big if, I were ever to make another one, I would go with larger squares.). I bought a nice fiberfill at Joann's, cost a little more than the regular poly fil and has the word "Silk" or "Silky" in the name. I forgot about my biscuit quilt until I stumbled across it when we moved about 3 weeks ago. I threw it across our sectional and some of our furry brood have taken their turns laying on it!

Edited to add the YouTube link; I found it! http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_dtvrGP...%3D_dtvrGPpA1Y This lady used really small squares for a wall hanging. The important thing to remember is your muslin square should be 1" smaller than your fabric square. It can be a very tedious, time consuming quilt but don't give up. The end result is worth it!!!!
Old 02-10-2014, 09:26 AM
Power Poster

I remember those nylon-stuffed biscuit quilts! They were popular for awhile. As I recall, it was touted as a wonderful way to recycle nylons. I didn't make one, but I know a lot of them were made with larger squares using corduroy for the squares. The technique, I think, was the one described above where you sew the biscuits with the seams enclosed (like little pillows) and then hand stitch together. I remember one like this featured on the cover of a magazine as a "modern" quilt! How time flies......
Old 02-10-2014, 10:13 AM

I made a purse using the biscuits as I got tired after making the first 24... It was so cuddlely and soft. I love the look of them.