Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Has anyone made a biscuit quilt before? >

Has anyone made a biscuit quilt before?

Has anyone made a biscuit quilt before?

Old 02-11-2014, 05:56 AM

I have never made a biscuit quilt, but I can remember when they were so popular years ago. They were stuffing them with any and everything. They stuffed with panty hose, cotton balls, fiber fill, and even those square make up remover pads! I have seen some really pretty ones when traveling through Arkansas. There used to be a shop in Arkansas and I can't remember where, that kept them made up and would hang them out near the highway, for travelers to see, and they seemed to sell a lot of them. They were the nicest ones I have seen. One of my relatives bought one, and said it stayed nice and laundered nicely through the years.
Old 02-11-2014, 05:58 AM

Once you have the puffs made and sewn together is it handled like other quilts, or just a backing and tied?
Old 02-11-2014, 06:03 AM

Originally Posted by Jo Cypher View Post
Once you have the puffs made and sewn together is it handled like other quilts, or just a backing and tied?
I backed and tied mine then put a binding on it.
Old 02-11-2014, 07:31 AM

[QUOTE=willferg;6566361]I just recently made a pillow using that technique. I used 6 inch squares of muslin for the bottom and 4.5" squares of prints for the top. I sewed three sides, stuffed, then combined squares to stitch the open side(s). It was pretty forgiving – at one point the seam line showed, so I stitched again a little higher and all was well, the front design wasn't affected at all.

I did feel quite done with that technique after making 16 little pillows. I wouldn't mind having another pillow, but I don't know that I would ever attempt a quilt or even a baby blanket. But that's just me, I have a short attention span

I love the idea of a puff pillow! Did you make puffs on both the front and back? Is there a pillow form inside? If so, is the pillow sewn shut, or do you have an opening?

Dayle
Old 02-11-2014, 07:39 AM

The biscuit quilts you all have shown here are wonderful looking. Everyone's pets sure love them and you know our pets have a knack for finding the coziest spots. LOL
Old 02-11-2014, 07:44 AM

One of my grandmothers made one of these for me when I was a kid. It became my breadspread. I am proud to say, I still have it. Each square is stuffed with a nylon.

Some of the fabrics have faded over the years, but, I still will place it on the bed in the spare room. That way it is more girlish for the granddaughters. It is very warm and heavy.
Old 02-11-2014, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn View Post
Were your bottom squares bigger than your top squares???? The top square should be bigger because that is where the puffiness comes from.
Oops, I typed it backwards – you are right, my tops were bigger than my bottoms!
Old 02-11-2014, 08:40 AM

[QUOTE=Daylesewblessed;6568424]
Originally Posted by willferg View Post
I love the idea of a puff pillow! Did you make puffs on both the front and back? Is there a pillow form inside? If so, is the pillow sewn shut, or do you have an opening?
Yes, I used a pillow form, and I used flannel for the backing. I overlapped the pieces in back so I could take the insert out and wash the cover if needed. Hope that makes sense, let me know if you need me to explain further!
Old 02-11-2014, 08:55 AM

I made one many years ago, a queen size one, and really enjoyed the process. My niece has is now and she and her husband love sleeping under it. I stuffed the biscuits with the stuffing used for dolls, etc., and had to be careful to get the right amount, especially not to overstuff them. I have been thinking about making another one but smaller. The one I made was is blues, pinks, and greens (florals) but I really love the one AuntPigglypn posted photos of - would be great for a throw.

Last edited by JanieH; 02-11-2014 at 09:01 AM.
Old 02-11-2014, 09:54 AM

Decades ago I made a biscuit quilt and stuffed them with 1/2 of a nylon stocking panty hose. It was a mighty heavy quilt -- my son loved it.