Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Has anyone made a biscuit quilt before? >

Has anyone made a biscuit quilt before?

Has anyone made a biscuit quilt before?

Old 02-11-2014, 10:14 AM

On my to do list. Picked up some good ideas here.
Old 02-11-2014, 10:23 AM

I made one the first baby quilt I made years ago. I used fiberfill. It turned out so cute.
Old 02-11-2014, 10:59 AM

I made one several years ago using just scraps. Top square was 1" larger than bottom. I would sit in my recliner and fold pleat in each of three sides and pin until I got a bunch of them, then I'd take them to the sewing machine and stitch around the three sides. Then I would stuff with fiberfill (got carried away on some - big mistake!) & pin the last side until I got another batch, then sew the last seam. I sewed them together in a 9 patch pattern first then arranged the blocks according to color before sewing them together in rows. Backed it with a sheet and serged the edges. Tied it in a few places to keep it together. It's really too heavy for me to sleep under but my doggie sure does love to lay on it. There is a tendency to over stuff.
Old 02-11-2014, 12:01 PM

wow, love the photos of auntpiggylpn 's quilt! I think I would use larger sqs too to make it work up faster ...
Old 02-11-2014, 12:58 PM

Didn't read all replies but you asked --I made a jacket for myself which I liked but it came out a bit small. A lady
commented how she liked it so I gave it to her --made in beige and browns which are really not good colors for me.
Old 02-11-2014, 01:18 PM

My mom made one of these stuffed with nylon hose--but she rolled the hose into donuts (like you roll them down your legs), put them inside the squares, sewed up the open side, then tied it in the middle of the ring of hose. I don't ever remember seeing this on a bed--I would think it would be uncomfortable--she hung hers on a curtain rod in the doorway of a room that didn't have a door for a privacy screen.
Old 02-11-2014, 01:55 PM

Love it! What a fun idea and good stash buster. It is on the list.
Old 02-11-2014, 05:50 PM

I made one still not complete-need to put a backing on it. I started It years ago -worked on it ,then worked on something else-I am determined to get it done this year. I used trip around the world for my pattern-if I knew how o post pictures I'd try sending a photo-really turned out nice-but it is heavy.
Old 02-11-2014, 07:50 PM

I saw a pattern that looked like this in a quilting mag. just the other day. I had not ever saw this befor, they called it a puff quilt and used pillow stuffing. It looked the same. If you want I can look for the mag.over the week-end. Just let me know.
Originally Posted by #1piecemaker View Post
My sister fell in love with a biscuit quilt that an elderly lady showed her the other day. She told me she wanted to make one and asked if I knew how. I know the concept. But, have never made one before. Do you use regular batting to stuff them with? Do you cut the top square bigger than the bottom one so that you allow room for the stuffing? If you've made one, do you have pictures? Please post here if you do. Thanks
Old 02-11-2014, 08:22 PM

This is the biscuit quilt I made. I used poly fil for the stuffing and also used a batting between the biscuit layer and the backing.
Attached Thumbnails biscuit.jpg