Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Has anyone made a biscuit quilt before? >

Has anyone made a biscuit quilt before?

Has anyone made a biscuit quilt before?

Old 02-10-2014, 11:20 AM

Years ago a friend of mine made one. We called them puff quilts. Back in the day they were stuffed with old pantie hose. She asked everyone she knew to save pantie hose for her. We did and she made a beautiful quilt out of therm.
Old 02-10-2014, 12:31 PM
Power Poster

I made on over 40 years ago probably as a gift. I stuff it with polyester batting to get the puff. Appears that the cutie pies that live with auntpiggylpn really love the puff quilt top !!
Old 02-10-2014, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
I made on over 40 years ago probably as a gift. I stuff it with polyester batting to get the puff. Appears that the cutie pies that live with auntpiggylpn really love the puff quilt top !!
Yes they do! We have to move something furry off it so the humans can use it!!!
Old 02-10-2014, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by Daylesewblessed View Post
My grandma made me a biscuit quilt for college in 1967. It was filled with nylon stockings and made with 2 equal sized pieces for the squares. The squares were machine sewn, filled, and then hand sewn shut. Squares were attached by hand, and there is no backing. It was made from scraps, but arranged in a Boston Commons pattern. It is twin size and extremely heavy and warm. Squares are about 4". I still have the quilt, but I wish I had my grandma.
I bought one at a garage sale made like this. My dog claimed it and just loves it. I cut it in half so she has one to use and one to wash. The cotton used for the top and bottom is thinning through wear and washing but the nylon stockings are enduring.
Old 02-10-2014, 01:09 PM

*** Your Onspecters really like it.
*** It looks really nice.
Old 02-10-2014, 02:01 PM

I remember those!!!! Somewhere amongst all of my "stuff" I've got one started but never finished it and yes I had everyone saving pantyhose for me, too. Gosh...that was a long time ago!!! lol
Old 02-10-2014, 02:06 PM

Like the quilt, it does look like tedious work.....the babies look comfy.

lana
the Quilting Dreamer
Lansing, MI
Old 02-10-2014, 07:20 PM

I made one years ago too, I stuffed old nylons in mine!
Old 02-11-2014, 05:20 AM

When my mother passed i brought her things home, 10 years later i opened one of the boxes and found these ''puffy'' squares..and at the bottom one completed block. I sat down and finished putting all those ''puffys'' together and added some of my own using polyfill and made a king size puffy quilt..it is tied and used on those cold winter nights. I also made one (double bed) for a church raffle that was given to the pastor and his wife last year. The squares were 5''/same as charms and the under was 4''... take a small pleat in the center of each side of the square(5'' square) or just watch the tute ...but a good way to get rid of your scraps as well...these quilts do tend to get heavy...
Old 02-11-2014, 05:28 AM

I remember making one of those "biscuit" quilts when I was a young teenager. I thought it was an original idea - I didn't use a pattern, just my own ideas - I thought I was quite inventive. Anyway, I have to tell you, that is the most beautiful "biscuit" quilt I have EVER seen!!! Those lucky little rascals, getting to sleep on it! I hope they realize how fortunate they are!!

Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn View Post
I made one. I used a tutorial off YouTube but I don't know the link- sorry! I used 5" charm squares and 4" muslin squares (if and that is a big if, I were ever to make another one, I would go with larger squares.). I bought a nice fiberfill at Joann's, cost a little more than the regular poly fil and has the word "Silk" or "Silky" in the name. I forgot about my biscuit quilt until I stumbled across it when we moved about 3 weeks ago. I threw it across our sectional and some of our furry brood have taken their turns laying on it!

Edited to add the YouTube link; I found it! http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_dtvrGP...%3D_dtvrGPpA1Y This lady used really small squares for a wall hanging. The important thing to remember is your muslin square should be 1" smaller than your fabric square. It can be a very tedious, time consuming quilt but don't give up. The end result is worth it!!!!