Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Has anyone made a silk quilt? >

Has anyone made a silk quilt?

Has anyone made a silk quilt?

Old 08-22-2015, 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by Buckeye Rose View Post
Have used silk in clothing and found that it ravels very easily and quickly, the seams don't like to be pressed and just a general PITA to work with.
You talked me into it.
Old 08-22-2015, 06:47 AM
Power Poster

EPP is English Paper Pieced.

I talked with some ladies who made a log cabin quilt from recycled silk men's ties. They said it was very difficult to work with, keeping the log cabin blocks straight. I would experiment a bit with sewing the silk, just to get the right technique and to help decide on what kind of pattern to use.
Old 08-22-2015, 06:51 AM
Power Poster

Several of the big quilt show winners this last year were made from all silk. It shows quilting beautifully. It is the new trend in quilting right now to use dupioni silk for quilt fabric.
Old 08-22-2015, 06:53 AM

Never tried quilting with silk, but used lots on my wedding dress business, and I love making my own clothes from silk as it drapes beautifully and Dan make the simplest style look designer made.
Old 08-22-2015, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by notmorecraft View Post
Dan make the simplest style look designer made.
Tell Dan that if he's ever on this side of the Pond that I could use his help.

From the limited experience I've had, I haven't found silk to be that troublesome to work with. I didn't, however, work with slick, satiny fabric. Sometimes if you put a bath towel across the bed of the machine, those fabrics that want to slide off will be less inclined to do so.
Old 08-22-2015, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
Were not crazy quilts made out of velvet and silks??
Yes, as in Judith Baker Montano's books. She also has a blog. I've picked up a few pieces of silk in thrift stores, and it looks and feels just like my husband's sports jackets, even put it through the washer & dryer. If I were going to piece something with the sheer, shimmery silk fabrics, I'd be looking at the work of and book by Rosemary Eichorn.
Old 08-22-2015, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
Were not crazy quilts made out of velvet and silks??
I have made a couple of lap quilts out of silk. I foundation pieced 12" blocks on cheap muslin and added embroidery. I would not try to make one without foundation. I had some scraps and added some silk scarves from a thrift store.

Made two, enjoyed it thoroughly. now I have no more desire to do any more. I am all crazied out!!
Attached Thumbnails crazyquilt2.jpg   crazycu.jpg  
Old 08-22-2015, 10:27 AM
Power Poster

Google October Sky by Bethanne Nemesh in Google Images. It is all silk. The quilting is amazing. It has won many awards.
Old 08-22-2015, 10:29 AM
Power Poster

Working with silk you need a lightweight fusible interfacing, that helps keep the fraying to a minimum and really helps with cutting. A New sharp blade in your cutter also is necessary. I use fine thread and the smallest Sharp needle possible. I love silks but they do take some extra care. Press from the wrong side. I machine embroidered a number of silk blocks for a quilt and they turned out so ( rich) looking. The interfacing is probably the most important thing though!
EPP is English Paper Piecing. It is a hand technique. ( think hexagons/ grandmas flower garden - or check out the Millefiore sew along pictures on Facebook- fabulous! ) I do a lot of EPP but found silks easier to work with by machine ( might just be me). If rotary cutting a new blade also is very important.
If you visit Pinterest or google images and type ( silk quilts) into the search box you will see many, many to inspire you! Beautiful!
Old 08-22-2015, 10:59 AM

My DM was a fantastic seamstress and made many garments of all varieties of silks and satins. She always (that I remember) serged all seams.