Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Has anyone made a silk quilt? >
  • Has anyone made a silk quilt?

• Has anyone made a silk quilt?

Old 08-22-2015, 02:04 PM

My mother had a silk comforter made out of little squares. The only problem with it was it slid off the bed.
    Old 08-22-2015, 03:13 PM

Interesting thread. It reminded me of the kimono silk I bought quite a while ago with the best intentions to make something beautiful. I haven't seen that silk in quite some time. Will have to go look for it.
    Old 08-22-2015, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by Onebyone
    Google October Sky by Bethanne Nemesh in Google Images. It is all silk. The quilting is amazing. It has won many awards.
    I watched videos of interviews regarding two different quilts. No one would be hesitant in calling her an artist. With heavy quilting, the fabric does not look stressed. Thanks for bringing this up.
    Old 08-22-2015, 06:42 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by Manalto
    Maybe she should have weighted it down with beans. But seriously... the silk I got is mostly matte finish, so it may not be as slippery as satin.

What's EPP? I assume it's handmade but don't see the letter "H"

What's the advantage of bamboo batting? (Other than sustainability.)
    English paper piecing....using paper templates and whipstitching the components together. Yes, you do it by hand.
    Bamboo batting has a good drape and is not very bulky.....I have this thing about 'like with like' silk and bamboo originate from the same continent. I may be a bit weird but I find it difficult to put batiks with western/european style fabrics.
    Old 08-23-2015, 01:10 AM

If you fancy a challenge http://mccallpattern.mccall.com/how-...p?page_id=1387

I have this book and intend to get to it some day as it is a great book for learning some great techniques and offers smaller projects to practice a particular skill before doing the block for the quilt. The author made this quilt in silk dupion
    Old 08-23-2015, 02:52 AM

Originally Posted by earthwalker
    English paper piecing....using paper templates and whipstitching the components together. Yes, you do it by hand.
    Bamboo batting has a good drape and is not very bulky.....I have this thing about 'like with like' silk and bamboo originate from the same continent. I may be a bit weird but I find it difficult to put batiks with western/european style fabrics.
    Thanks for deciphering EPP. It sounds like a technique that has great precision.

I'll check out the bamboo batting; hadn't heard of it. Your "originate from the same continent" argument is hilarious.
    Old 08-23-2015, 03:49 AM

My avatar is a silk quilt I made for my DDIL. The white is silk taffeta left over from her wedding gown. I used silk batting and the backing is silk velvet. The colors are silk shantung with light interfacing. The biggest issue I found is applying the interfacing without using steam. You don't want to get the silk wet or it will spot. Raveling is the other problem. I used 3/8" seams for this reason.
    Old 08-23-2015, 04:36 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by Manalto
    Thanks for deciphering EPP. It sounds like a technique that has great precision.

I'll check out the bamboo batting; hadn't heard of it. Your "originate from the same continent" argument is hilarious.
    Glad I could amuse. Not crazy...I prefer 'mildly eccentric'.
    Old 08-23-2015, 05:55 AM

Hi James! I made a quilt using Silk, Satin and Velvet. I was everything you said, but it was also a lot of other things too. I used a Crazy quilt picture for a start, but didn't want it all that way. So I made 12 1/2 inch blocks for my crazy quilt blocks (on a foundation, not paper pieced). Then I added the Velvet blocks (just a block of Velvet, but I used a hot iron to make designs on the Velvet - remember your iron can not be too hot or you will have a problem). Before I was finished I had Velvet blocks in HST too. It was fun, but it does take a lot of time (a good winter project if it gets cold in your area). Good luck and be sure to post pictures
    Old 08-23-2015, 06:26 AM

Sarah Vedler has a heart quilt wall hanging on her site. She also has a blog you might get info from her site. Google Sarah Vedler.