Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Have you ever been unable to cut straight strips?

Have you ever been unable to cut straight strips?

I was cutting 2" strips this past weekend from a piece of fabric that I had not used before. I do not remember where I got it but it was not the best quality. I tried to straighten the edge as I always do. I proceeded to cut eight strips and realized they were all "V'd" in the crease. So, I started the process all over again, complete with pressing, cutting a straight edge with the rotary cutter and ruler. This time, I cut a narrow strip. Again, it had a"V" in the crease. I decided to pull a thread from selvage to selvage to find the true straight of the material. Cut again and the same problem. i held the fabric up to the light and the crossgrain threads were so wonky all the way through the fabric. They were not straight at all. They were actually wavy lines. I just gave up. I am so glad I did not use that fabric in my quilt. It was a solid black and I had another better quality piece. My first cut and all after were perfect. I just wondered if you have ever had this problem. Aside from the fact that the fabric was poor quality, what was I doing wrong? Would the crossgrain threads cause this problem?

A V in the crease means that your ruler is not square with the fold. Perhaps the uneven weave made it difficult to form a good fold? It would probably have helped to starch the fabric first, and then it would behave itself better.

I always thought the v in the fold was caused from being off grain. It sounds like Jan got a really bad piece of fabric.
    Sewbeadit
    Montesano, Washington

When fabric is that off , I usually toss it into the wash and then dry to get all of the fibers to re-line. I have never been a fan of tugging on the bias to re- line.

Blog Entries
    I always line my ruler up to the fold, never a selvage or cut edge. This has eliminated the dreaded "V" for me.
    No one has ever become poor by giving. - Anne Frank
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheQuiltedPig

Quote Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn View Post
    I always line my ruler up to the fold, never a selvage or cut edge. This has eliminated the dreaded "V" for me.
    This works for me too.
    Love your MLK quote auntpiggylpn.
    Annie

Blog Entries
    I have great luck using the June Taylor Shape Cut to not have the V. I was taught to use two or more rulers to line the bottom of the fabric perfectly straight at least half way across the length. The biggest square ruler is the best way to get the bottom edge straight and the Shape Cut is a big square. I prefer my Go for perfect cuts every time.
    Got fabric?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dunster View Post
    A V in the crease means that your ruler is not square with the fold. Perhaps the uneven weave made it difficult to form a good fold? It would probably have helped to starch the fabric first, and then it would behave itself better.
    Agree. I line the fold up with a horizontal line on my cutting mat, then use the vertical lines in the mat to cut.

Quote Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
    Agree. I line the fold up with a horizontal line on my cutting mat, then use the vertical lines in the mat to cut.
    Maybe I will try using the lines on my cutting mat and starching the fabric like dunster recommends. Those are two things I don't do. Most of the other recommendations listed above, I am already doing. Thanks for the advice everyone!

It's been my experience that the dreaded "V" is caused by the fold of the fabric being off a little.
    Sue