Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Now if I could cut straight and sew straight

Now if I could cut straight and sew straight

it sure would make my job a lot easier. LOL I have a hard time going slow. When I was standing in line for talents.... Patience was not one of them..HEHEHE

Practice makes perfect, or at least close enough!!!

Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Straight is overrated. Cut crooked. Call it all "improvisational modern quilting." All is fair in fun and quilting.

Two things I have found that really help with cutting straight and sewing straight. June Tailors Shape Cut rulers and a 1/4 foot with guide.They work great! You might want to give them a try!

Or... Do some curved piecing. I love my 1/4 inch foot with guide.

Quote Originally Posted by StephT View Post
    it sure would make my job a lot easier. LOL I have a hard time going slow. When I was standing in line for talents.... Patience was not one of them..HEHEHE
    Your posting reminded me of an old fellow we used to know..... "When God was fashioning our lives.... we got to choose.... BUT .... I thought he said ROSES.... and I asked for a BIG RED ONE...... & yup....A BIG RED NOSE!!!! "

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by thimblebug6000 View Post
    Your posting reminded me of an old fellow we used to know..... "When God was fashioning our lives.... we got to choose.... BUT .... I thought he said ROSES.... and I asked for a BIG RED ONE...... & yup....A BIG RED NOSE!!!! "
    Or. . . When God was handing out LOOKS, I thought he said BOOKS so I asked for a scary one!
    and one more. . . When God was handing out BRAINS, I thought he said TRAINS so I said give me a slow one!
    No one has ever become poor by giving. - Anne Frank
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheQuiltedPig

Standing in front of Walmart begging for fat quarters
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by thimblebug6000 View Post
    LOLOL! Love it thimblebug!

I do nothing straight and I don't apologize for it...much. The Amish leave a vanity block in their quilts, mistakes on purpose. In the Amish world, only God is perfect and we haven't the right to aspire to it. I have LOTS of vanity blocks...does that make me humble? BAH!
    From the artist formerly known as Missus Fear...Hi, my name is Tracy and I am a hobbyaholic.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/blogs/m...ear-79671.html

Thank You. You have made me feel better

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I tend to venture off the line often.

I stood in line then it closed for the day. Where do we go from there ? I have to use all that God gave me but at times that is very little. I am happy playing in my fabrics.......Piece by piece.... Hugs

I've been sewing since I was 12 and have made items ranging from designer outerwear to business suits to simple and complicated quilt patterns. Just took a look at the seams I sewed for my latest D9P and there is not a single perfectly-straight line anywhere. Off by two threads here and there in either direction, or starting at exactly 1/4" and ending up who knows where. Don't blame yourself and just compensate with block placement and squaring up.
    A fabric stash is always missing that one fabric needed to finish the quilt on which you're working.

I don't have to intentionally leave anything errors in my block to keep it from being perfect!!!! I just happens naturally. As for striaght, I do love the Shape Cut ruler by June Tailer, I bought one at the Quilt Show and have been cutting straight strips since, what a gem!!!
    God Bless Quilters and Sewers
    Marti

You must have been standing in the same line as me, because that is not one of my strengths and apparently my baby was standing in that same line cause its genetic
    Brother (XL-3500i, CV3550, SQ-9050, Dreamweaver XE6200D), Juki MO-2000QVP, Handiquilter Avante

You're in good company! I'm the same way...

Red face

I like the comment that the Amish intentionally have a mistake, that makes me more than Amish. Sometimes if you have enough off and crooked, it looks intentional. Lucky for me! All kidding aside, the rotary cutter is important, I picked up a new one, it was reasonable, but it does not cut straight for me, not sure if the blade goes too far past the body of the cutter and it bends. Cuts like a charm, but never straight, trouble is it took me a big quilt to see that one, it would be great for cutting paper if I was not concerned with accuracy. Oh the things we learn. If I did not smile about it, I could have a good cry!!

we are suppose to cut & sew straight ?????
    I do not remember reading that rule !!!!

AMEN!! Those are my favorites also. Is there a setting on your machine where you can slow the machine down? If not, just practice not pressing down as hard on the foot pedal.
    One step at a time, always forward.

Banned
    when i cut and sew straight it lessens my frustration and need to rip out.
    I don't believe in honoring inperfection. Now inperfection can be of differing degrees, When the pieces fit that makes me feel better. Wonky is ok if it is deliberate and not accidental. I do have some problem when an answer to correcting a problem is "its your quilt, you can do anything you want" or when it is on the bed you won't see the different in the width at top or bottom.......or the galloping horse theory of workmanship......bah humbug