Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Have you tried the fusible batting?

Have you tried the fusible batting?

If you have tried the new fusible batting, how did you like it. I am very intrigued- I hate basting with pins or sewing. I have tried spray, it is ok, but I didn't get it quite smooth enough first time around.

I am wanting to try this and would love to hear from anyone who has used it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tezell0801 View Post
    If you have tried the new fusible batting, how did you like it. I am very intrigued- I hate basting with pins or sewing. I have tried spray, it is ok, but I didn't get it quite smooth enough first time around.

I am wanting to try this and would love to hear from anyone who has used it.
    I use it all the time for totes, doll quilts, and other small projects. It works well for me. I just haven't used it for large quilts.
    Just passing through!

Central Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    Fusible batting has been around for a while. I used Hobbs brand many times in the the 1990s and liked it a lot.

Jan in VA
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.

I tried the fusible batting, and it was pretty good. But I still like basting with Elmer's School glue. I always have the glue and the batting so no need for me to go out and buy something else. But, if you do not like the Elmer's method, I believe the fusible batting is the next best thing.

I tried it when I first discovered it way back.. it was not what I had hoped for... I find spray basting to be mmuch more to my liking. As for getting it flat .. I use my iron ( set on just warm ... no steam) to go over the first part of the sandwich get that as flat as I want.. then do the second layer .. and I iron again. Thats what works for me to get it as flat as I can possible get it.

Power Poster
    I LOVE Hobbs 80/20 fusible quilt batt. You do need a large surface to dry iron the sandwich together. I use the old carpet on my basement floor. I have done up to a twin size quilt without a wrinkle in the back.
    I recently tried the 505 spray and hung a small lap quilt in the garage to make my sandwich. It did not make as nice a quilting sandwich as the Hobbs fusible, but it still worked without any wrinkles in the back. NOTE: I used the 505 with a puffy polyester batt so that may have made the difference.

Have used both but prefer spray. It's not the best for people with breathing problems and should be used in a well-ventilated area...

You still have to either pin or spray the backing on to it.
    Proud grandma of Coast Guard grandson and Air Force granddaughter!

Banned
    I've used it for baby and lap quilts; don't think I'd ever use it for anything larger

It's okay but I still prefer Elmer's glue!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast