Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: heavy starch and pointy points

Lightbulb heavy starch and pointy points

I'd like to say a heartfelt THANK YOU!!!!! to all of you who have casually mentioned that you like to starch your fabric until it's stiff. I've even seen some of you say that when you peel it off the ironing board it should stick straight out. I used to think that was overkill, but now I'm a believer!

I took a class over the weekend. I consider myself an advanced beginner (if that makes sense) and this is an ongoing drop-in-when-you-can BOM thing. Saturday's block is a star, and omg, the points have been driving me nuts. If only the fabric would stay still while I cut/sewed it!

And then I had a lightbulb moment. Actually, more of a stadium lights moment. I fished out another fat quarter, starched the dickens out of it, cut it, and ta da! My points are pointy!

I'm sold! Light starch on my blouses, heavy on quilt parts.

I learn so much from you guys!
    -Karen
    There's no such thing as too many sewing machines!

Blog Entries
    Welcome to the "other" side! It just makes your quilting life easier, doesn't it?!?
    No one has ever become poor by giving. - Anne Frank
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheQuiltedPig

Banned
    Blog Entries
    awesome to know...glad it worked so well for you!..PIX now!

Blog Entries
    Yeah for Team Starch!!!! We won another one over!

Quote Originally Posted by MrsBoats View Post
    I'd like to say a heartfelt THANK YOU!!!!! to all of you who have casually mentioned that you like to starch your fabric until it's stiff. I've even seen some of you say that when you peel it off the ironing board it should stick straight out. I used to think that was overkill, but now I'm a believer!

I took a class over the weekend. I consider myself an advanced beginner (if that makes sense) and this is an ongoing drop-in-when-you-can BOM thing. Saturday's block is a star, and omg, the points have been driving me nuts. If only the fabric would stay still while I cut/sewed it!

And then I had a lightbulb moment. Actually, more of a stadium lights moment. I fished out another fat quarter, starched the dickens out of it, cut it, and ta da! My points are pointy!

I'm sold! Light starch on my blouses, heavy on quilt parts.

I learn so much from you guys!
    What kind of starch did you use?
    Earleen The best helping hand is at the end of your arm.

that is my question too......what kind of starch? what I have tried so far really didnt do much for helping.....

I have used the sta-puf liquid starch as well as spray starch. One teacher I had starches her fabric until it is like 'typing paper'. Can't argue with her, she wins national contests...an amazing piecer, appliquer and even more amazing quilter.

Quote Originally Posted by 4dogs View Post
    that is my question too......what kind of starch? what I have tried so far really didnt do much for helping.....
    I personally like sizing better than starch. But if I do use regular starch, I like to mix mine own up from the concentrate. Has anyone used that scented kind (maybe by Marti Mitchell or Mary Ellen or somebody)? I've seen them use it on Sewing With Nancy or Fons or Porter or some quilting show on PBS.

I like EVERYTHING I iron starched... even my pillowcases. I know... I'm a weird-o.
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca

Blog Entries
    I am a "new" believer myself; with the project I am working on right now, I starched till stiff the fabric and WOW was it fantastic to cut and stitch. Will definetely be a starch fanatic from now on.
    Brenda

Has anyone ever starched faux suede? I'm working on embellishing fabric for a bag. I'm using several different brands of faux suede and batik cottons. I starched all my cottons and I'm ready to try starching the suede, on the back side and at a lower temp. That suede keeps wiggling around!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast