Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: heavy starch and pointy points

My LQS owner advised us in a class to use sizing. She sprayed her sample block at all stages of the sewing and cutting. Then she made another one with no sizing. The difference was amazing! It sure made believers out of us and has really improved my piecing!

I also like to use heavy starch. Straighter seams pointier points.
    Grandmeto6 aka Judy

When you starch the fabric really stiff, does it soften up thru the quilting process? Or do you have these stiff blocks that's being sewed together? If you have the quilt top LA'd, does this make it easier or more difficult?

I've been starching, but not til stiff. Just wondering if I should be starching more.

I have been starching faithfully since I first saw it mentioned in a tutorial somewhere and would never want to do without it. I was just remembering a desperate situation a friend of mine ran into many years ago. Someone, learning that she could sew, had asked her to make a skirt from a very easy pattern. She said "Sure", thinking "How hard could that be?" She found out that it could be very hard indeed because the woman picked a light, sheer, filmy, slick, stretchy, fraying fabric - your worst nightmare. I now know that very likely the solution to the problem (which none of her sewing friends came up with at the time) might have been to starch the heck out of it.

Blog Entries
    I'm a starch & iron believer too. Staflo liquid starch - half & half in spray bottle. The kind in a can always stops up before I use it all. StaFlo is cheaper too.
    TwandasMom

I definately agree. Starch the Hell out of it and the points will be great.

The scented starches give me a bad headache and make me wheeze.

Blog Entries
    Sta-Flo works great and is cheap. I dilute it 1:1. Its like sewing paper together and certainly a must for small pieces like Dear Jane blocks!!
    http://s1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh485/KitsieH/
    Never regret growing older, its a privilege denied to many.
    Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Kitsie

Quote Originally Posted by alikat110 View Post
    Yeah for Team Starch!!!! We won another one over!
    AMEN!! I am in love with heavy starch.
    Alma
    Nami to 6

I use Sta-Flo mixture 1/2 and 1/2. Leah Day sprays her fabric on one side turns it over and presses. She then sprays that side turns it over and presses that side. I think it works great that way

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by skowron5 View Post
    I use Sta-Flo mixture 1/2 and 1/2. Leah Day sprays her fabric on one side turns it over and presses. She then sprays that side turns it over and presses that side. I think it works great that way
    I learned this trick (about spraying one side/ironing other) a loooooong time ago when we had to iron everything. Of course I started out cooking my starch - then went to spray. Buying it in a bottle is much easier.
    TwandasMom

I don't care for the smell of bottled starches. That's why I bought my first gallon of Sta-flo. I mix it 1:1 with water and add a few drops of lavender oil. Now I starch EVERYTHING!
    Especially pre-washed fabrics, but even new off-the-bolt fabric gets starched! I'm a firm believer that the starch makes the fabric behave better for both cutting and piecing. Once my top is pieced....it gets another pressing with starch. To me, that makes quilting on my DSM easier, too.
    "And I guess I might have made a few mistakes.
    But maybe that's exactly what it takes.
    To get a little happy in this big sad world..."
    ​One Line Wonder, The Avett Brothers

Ya, just a wealth information here!
    Love 4 stchen

I use ARGO powdered starch, cook up 1/4 c in the microwave for a load of fabric (water set on low/warm), in the rinse water. It makes a medium starch concentrate. [I]My recipe: start with 1/4c starch in 1c water and stir till dissolved. add 2c water and microwave for 5 minutes stirring (I use a whip) at every minute. starch should be translucent and bubbly. mix in another cup of cool water and mix thoroughly. Pour into warm rinse water, add prewashed fabric, agitate and spin out on low. Line or dryer dry till just slightly damp. Press while damp. Spritz with water to reactivate the starch whenever needed. A box of starch costs <$2, and is equal to 2 gallons or more of liquid starch, plus it's fresh each time. Many stores no longer carry it, so you might have to search. I buy mine at the Woodman's chain in Wisconsin and supply members of my guild with it @ $1.25 per box. I buy liquid starch for mixing 1/4, starch/water, for spray starch in a pump spray bottle at my ironing board. Warning: storing fabrics with starch will attract bugs in some areas of the country.
    johans, Michigan's UP, Hiawatha National Forest West

Love my starch!!!! Wouldn't quilt without it!

Blog Entries
    Has anyone ever made their own starch like johans does and put it in a spray bottle? I've just used up my bottle of Sta-Flo and I do have Argo starch on hand and was just wondering. If memory serves me - home made starch will 'sour' if left out of fridge long. Anyone else remember this or is it a figment of my imagination?
    TwandasMom

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2