Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
heavy starch and pointy points >

heavy starch and pointy points

heavy starch and pointy points

Old 04-18-2012, 04:11 AM

Originally Posted by Earleen View Post
What kind of starch did you use?
Faultless Professional Formula Heavy Starch-it's what The Husband had for starching his uniform hats. He's also got a jug of Sta-Flo liquid starch around somewhere, but I've never used it.

I'm open to other suggestions; this just happened to be on hand when I was desperate. I use vodka and water for sizing.
Old 04-18-2012, 04:28 AM

Christine27, I don't believe that you can starch faux suede.

I use the concentrated Sta-Flo starch and dilute 50/50. To use it "properly", you should starch the dickens out of the fabric, then put in a plastic bag and let the starch really get "into" the fabric, then let it air dry or in the drier, although air dry is actually better(will be stiffer than drier), otherwise when you iron, you're really just ironing the starch and this is why your iron will get all yucky.
Old 04-18-2012, 05:24 AM

Originally Posted by Christine27 View Post
Has anyone ever starched faux suede? I'm working on embellishing fabric for a bag. I'm using several different brands of faux suede and batik cottons. I starched all my cottons and I'm ready to try starching the suede, on the back side and at a lower temp. That suede keeps wiggling around!
Because Faux suede is not a natural fiber , and is made of oil based raw materials , its ability to absorb the water /starch solution is very very limited, if any. One reason oil/petroleum based fibers dry so quickly is that they don't really ever get wet. There are molicules of water that are between the fibers , giving the feeling of moisture, but the fibers themselves don't get wet.
Old 04-18-2012, 06:09 AM

Glad it worked out well for you, but it is entirely possible, and quite easy actually, to have pointy-points (also straight cuts, square blocks, even seams, etc) without the use of starch or any other additives whatsoever. I much prefer my fabric to feel like fabric, not cardboard...or even typing paper.
Old 04-18-2012, 06:36 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
Glad it worked out well for you, but it is entirely possible, and quite easy actually, to have pointy-points (also straight cuts, square blocks, even seams, etc) without the use of starch or any other additives whatsoever. I much prefer my fabric to feel like fabric, not cardboard...or even typing paper.
I totally agree!

As a pre-washer, I like to have some "feel" back into the fabric, as the sizing has been removed in the wash.

I did like using Magic Sizing, and because it's unavailable here in Canada, I hade been using spray starch, which if not careful it becomes that cardboard and typing paper feel! Just last week I tried Mary Ellen's Best Press for the first time, and can see it will be my option now instead of the spray starch.

As for pointy-points and perfected work ... a lot of that comes from your technique and abilities and NOT from starching til it is like cardboard! And one of those techniques is learning the value of pressing, and pressing well, throughout the process.

And if you're looking for really perfect-pointy-points paper piecing might be your solution!!
(now there's a lot of Ps!)
Old 04-18-2012, 06:46 AM
Power Poster

whatever works!
Old 04-19-2012, 04:04 AM

I too like the one made from Vodka & water, I put Lavender essence in it also for a good smell.
Old 04-19-2012, 04:07 AM

Originally Posted by pocoellie View Post
Christine27, I don't believe that you can starch faux suede.

I use the concentrated Sta-Flo starch and dilute 50/50. To use it "properly", you should starch the dickens out of the fabric, then put in a plastic bag and let the starch really get "into" the fabric, then let it air dry or in the drier, although air dry is actually better(will be stiffer than drier), otherwise when you iron, you're really just ironing the starch and this is why your iron will get all yucky.
I use this too but mix it in a one gallon yard sprayer. Put the fabric in the bathtub on top of a plastic shower liner and spray until saturated. Let it dry in the tub until damp, then press. I put a pillow case on top of the iron cover so as not to get starch all over it. Wash pillowcase when it gets too stiff or full of starch.
Old 04-19-2012, 04:14 AM

starch is our friend...starch is our friend..starch is our friend....
Old 04-19-2012, 04:19 AM
Vat

I buy Sta Flo at Walmart and mix it half with water. Works great! ! ! ! And less costly than lots of the name brands.