Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help! Cleaning Soot from Quilts >

Help! Cleaning Soot from Quilts

Help! Cleaning Soot from Quilts

Old 02-18-2016, 10:17 PM

I agree -- if there is insurance have the cleaning company clean them (impressing them that they are heirlooms).
Old 02-19-2016, 03:52 AM

If vacuuming the loose soot, try putting a piece of screening (used for screened windows or doors) over the quilt first. This will prevent pushing the soot into the fabric, and the soot will be sucked up. This I learned from a handout years ago.
Old 02-19-2016, 04:00 AM

If there is a fire restoration company in your area, call them for information. If not, then call your local dry cleaners as they may have knowledge of what to do. If there is a quilt restoration person in your area contact them. You can call your local or nearest quilt guild for that info.
Old 02-19-2016, 04:42 AM

Last spring I had a soot back up from my furnace. We also had the carbon monoxide and are very lucky to be alive.
Fortunately, for me most of my quilting fabric, batting, and patterns were in covered plastic totes or boxes. What was
not protected with covers, the surfaces were covered with the soot. Called the insurance company, who contacted the
restoration company to come in and start the cleaning process. Prior to their arrival, I had tried to vacuum carpets, and the vacuum just wasn't picking it up any of the soot. I learned a lot dealing with the restoration company. The individuals that were sent into my home were not trained on how to clean soot. Nor were they sensitive to valuables. The drapes, clothing and some of my smaller quilting items were sent out for dry cleaning. Water was applied to the furniture by the restoration personnel, this did not clean the fabrics. Water is not good for soot. Same for the carpets. The carpeting was less than 4 years old, and a light beige, therefore showed the black soot. I have tried washing some of the smaller quilts and rising twice. I am not real satisfied with the results. There is no smell, but it just doesn't feel the same.

I am sure that a lot of you on this board have a big investment in your quilting. When it comes to the insurance it can be
very challenging. I am really considering putting a rider on my insurance in the event this were to ever happen again.

I wish your friend the very best in her challenges, and hope that she has a lot of support. Soot, as I learned is a very difficult thing to be able to clean. I am still cleaning the soot.
Old 02-19-2016, 06:42 AM

http://www.cleaninginstitute.org/cle..._fabrics_.aspx

Not too impressed with "The Cleaning Institute, but worth a try.
Old 02-19-2016, 06:45 AM

I had soot covering everything also...step one: remove the soot prior to cleaning your quilt.
.very important
Old 02-19-2016, 11:27 AM

First, try to 'remove' as much debris as possible. Vacumn or lay over a clothesline and tap the backside to release as much as you can. I would wash gently (maybe in a tub) with Dawn dishwashing liquid. This is very gentle and is what is used to remove oil from birds. Squeeze out as much water as you can and let air dry.
Old 02-20-2016, 06:18 AM

My son while he lived in Maryland, had a electrical fire in the wall between apartments. The retro company sealed his apartment with everything inside and used something to clear the smoke and soot. Even his clothes and furniture. They might even share what they use with her. Good luck.
Old 02-20-2016, 07:14 PM

I've never had a problem with soot but when I was a flower courier there was one lily that had very heaven brown pollen. The only way to remove it if you got it on your clothes was with sticky(Cello) tape. The sticky tape would lift the pollen right off the clothing. If you tried brushing it you got a terrible mess that wouldn't wash out. I would then try the Dawn detergent. Dish liquids are made to cut through grease. Best of luck to your friend.
Old 02-21-2016, 04:28 AM

Thank you to everyone who has continued to respond to my question. My friend did end up sending everything out to a local restoration company that came highly recommended. She did, however, pass on many of your suggestions above that I shared with her - it was not quite clear if they knew how to handle quilts specifically. So I hope that things turn out well. I will keep everyone posted!

Last edited by RunningStitch; 02-21-2016 at 04:28 AM. Reason: noticed a typo