Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help - Dog and cat allergies >

Help - Dog and cat allergies

Help - Dog and cat allergies

Old 01-06-2010, 12:15 PM

A friend received a new twin size quilt from a family relative who has dogs and cats. Friend is very allergic to many things including dogs and cats!
What are some of the methods you have used to make a quilt suitable to use when this has happened?
( She would rather not wash it but will if that is the only solution, then, what is best to use?)
Thank you in advance for any and all ideas.
Rae
Old 01-06-2010, 12:17 PM
Power Poster

If it is 100% cotton, I would throw it in the washer.
Also throwing it in the dryer with a bounce will get m ost of it off.
Old 01-06-2010, 12:17 PM
Power Poster

Febreeze maybe..... sunshine does wonders too. Oh I was thinking a bed, not quilt.
Old 01-06-2010, 12:29 PM
Power Poster

Washing is the best idea. she can delint it all she wants and spray it with what ever, but the odds are that there will be stuff left, it will be much better after she washes and dries it, She can put it on gentle cycles, it isn't that it is dirty, just possible hairs and pet dander,
Old 01-06-2010, 01:19 PM
Power Poster

I agree with washing the quilt. It is best to use a front-loading washing machine for this -- much easier on the quilt than a top-loading agitator. Laundromats have these, plus dryers big enough to handle a quilt.

If she has access only to a top-loader, she can stop the machine during the wash cycle and hand-agitate (pushing quilt up and down in the washer water), then advance to the spin cycle. She would stop the machine again for the rinse cycle, hand-agitating before advancing to spin.

She should not use a home dryer if she has to cram the quilt to get it in; chances are there will be hot spots that could burn the quilt. An alternative to using a dryer is to lay out the quilt on a sheet and have a fan blow on it, turning the quilt maybe twice a day until it is completely dry. If drying outside, the quilt must not only lay on top of a sheet but should also be covered by a sheet to protect from sun fading (and bird droppings!).
Old 01-06-2010, 01:20 PM

She might try the over the counter Dry Cleaning method, that you put through the dryer.
Old 01-06-2010, 01:42 PM

Febreeze maybe.....
Let me jump in quickly to say never, never, never use Fabreeze on a quilt, especially if it is a gift. A lot of people are highly allergic to this stuff. Plus, it is a chemical you are spraying on your quilt and no one knows yet what the long term damage to the quilt would be with this stuff. If it stinks enough to need Fabreeze, then it needs to be cleaned.

I would recommend putting it in the wash. There really is no other way to get rid of the pet dander. I would also double rinse it, just to be sure. Since your friend is allergic to a lot of things (I completely understand!), she would not want to take it to a laundrymat since she wouldn't know what types of residue might be left in the machines there. For the dryer, my recommendation is to use the lowest setting possible; either air dry or the lowest heat setting. This will help keep the quilt from fading. If she is worried about the quilt fading, have her use a special soap made specifically for quilts. A lot of the commercial laundry soaps out there contain a chemical that fades fabrics. Hope this helps.
Old 01-06-2010, 11:18 PM
Power Poster

I am allergic to some cats and dogs. Washing the quilt once would not be enough to rid it of allergens for me. The hairs and such get woven into the fibers... It will take multiple washings and the use of liquid fabric softeners do help to lift off the hairs, they work better than dryer sheets for this :wink: Also using a front loader works better...remove the quilt, wipe out the machine and run it again...
Thankfully I am not as allergic as some...or I could never visit any family or friends as they ALL have pets :D:D:D
Old 01-06-2010, 11:36 PM

How distressing.... I'd be in big trouble if I was allergic to cats and dogs.

I agree with washing though, it's really the only sure fire way to clean it. Especially if the allergy is bad.
Old 01-07-2010, 04:55 AM

I think they should wash it.