Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help with doing  points on stars >

Help with doing points on stars

Help with doing points on stars

Old 02-05-2014, 11:46 AM

Default Help with doing points on stars

I read the other day and don't remember where I found it that they leave 1 1/2 seam allowance from edge
of block to have crisp points but I don't understand how they would do that if the pattern calls for a certain size block how can you do a 1 1/2 seam allowance the seam is usually 1/4 seam so I am confused but I need help getting better points some of them get sewed under when I sew the HST together I don't know what I am doing wrong can some one please help me with this thanks
shirley
I am working on a hunters star now doing samples first email me thanks for any help you can give me (e-mail edited out by moderator)

Last edited by Jim's Gem; 02-05-2014 at 02:33 PM.
Old 02-05-2014, 12:06 PM
Power Poster

​This is public forum and it is best to not have your email address because of spam. I think there is a Hunters Star tutorial in the QB tutorial section.
Old 02-05-2014, 12:28 PM

Without knowing where you found this information, it's hard to clarify for you what they mean. If you're dealing with HSTs, you will need to cut the original squares larger, but generally it's 7/8", not 1 1/2".

I agree with Tartan - you might get clarification by doing a search for a Hunter's Star tutorial, or even better, a video tutorial on YouTube.
Old 02-05-2014, 02:22 PM
Power Poster

Leaving 1.5" from a point to the edge of a block has nothing to do with your seam allowance. It's not a technique you could apply to any star block, it is how that specific star block is cut and constructed. You would still use your same 1/4" seam allowance. When the block is sewn into the quilt, the star will 'float', in other words, the points of the star will not touch the adjacent block.
Here's an example. In this case the points are not even, but you can make them so. The points stop way before the edge of the block
http://fabricshopperonline.com/wonky-star-tutorial/
For a hunter's star I would look into purchasing Deb Tucker's rapid fire rulers. Here's her youtube demo:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWOS9KBDJgU

Last edited by PaperPrincess; 02-05-2014 at 02:32 PM.
Old 02-05-2014, 09:38 PM

The star points in the Hunter's Star are dependent on how you piece the bottom of the ?arrowhead and the trapezoid pieces.
Old 02-05-2014, 11:17 PM

To keep any point you require a 1/4" above where the point sits. If not there you can undo slightly and move slightly to give this distance. Or when you machine the seam over the point do it from the back side of the point. Then draw a line so you can just sew leaving a point. Putting a spot og glue at the point may help.
Jenny doak on her periwinkle block had a similiar problem and did a second video . Watch first then find 2.

On a hunter star should have no problem with loosing points as the star is made in a different way. Pm