Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help!!!How do I make a measurement to make this Block >

Help!!!How do I make a measurement to make this Block

Help!!!How do I make a measurement to make this Block

Old 07-22-2011, 06:38 PM

Please see the free pattern in the link below from Wilmington Fabrics. Go to the very bottom of the pattern and see the square with the small sqs. around it. It is actually the front of the quilt pack if you look at the top pic. I want to do a square 6 and 8" from a panel and put these small squares around them in different fabrics. How do I measure the squares to fit? Ex. their sq.: 11 1/2" sq. in middle and 3 7/8" sqs. around the outside. Can anyone give me the measurements to do these two squares of 6 and 8"? Help ........

http://wilmingtonprints.com/PImages/Pdf_130.pdf
Old 07-22-2011, 08:08 PM
Google Goddess

Wow, that is a cool pattern

(it took a few minutes for that pattern to load but worth seeing it)

but sorry I wouldn't know how to tell you to make the different sizes for you,

I hope someone can help out with the measurements

Craftybear

Originally Posted by Quilted Dogs
Please see the free pattern in the link below from Wilmington Fabrics. Go to the very bottom of the pattern and see the square with the small sqs. around it. It is actually the front of the quilt pack if you look at the top pic. I want to do a square 6 and 8" from a panel and put these small squares around them in different fabrics. How do I measure the squares to fit? Ex. their sq.: 11 1/2" sq. in middle and 3 7/8" sqs. around the outside. Can anyone give me the measurements to do these two squares of 6 and 8"? Help ........

Old 07-22-2011, 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by craftybear
Wow, that is a cool pattern

(it took a few minutes for that pattern to load but worth seeing it)

but sorry I wouldn't know how to tell you to make the different sizes for you,

I hope someone can help out with the measurements

Craftybear

If you have not been on this site before, they have tons of PDF patterns with panels, etc., nice.....free downloads
Old 07-22-2011, 08:24 PM

Are you talking about the Quillow pattern? If you are, can I assume you still want the overall finished size to be about 18" square?
Old 07-22-2011, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by LyndaOH
Are you talking about the Quillow pattern? If you are, can I assume you still want the overall finished size to be about 18" square?
No, I do not want to make the bag, just the front block on it.....if u go to the bottom of the link u will c the block I am talkng about, sq. in the middle with squares around it...trying to fig. out how to measure the small sqs. if I use a 6 and 8" one in the middle. They used a 11 1/2" with 3 7/8" sqs. around......any help???

Old 07-22-2011, 10:13 PM

Hi there! This is how I counted it, plese Ladies correct me if I'm wrong,
The original block is actually 12 1/2" ( 11 1/2 + 1/2" border, finished). For an 8" center cut your small sq's 2 7/8 to make 2 1/2 HSQs to finish 2"when sewn together. DO NOT forget your seam allowance in your center 6's and 8's!
For 6" center block you'll want 1 1/2"finished hsqs (cut 2 3/8; I would cut 2,5 squares and square to 2" unfinished. (4 x 1,5 =6). If you still want the border around your center you substract the 1/2" from your center and add 1"cut border strips to get back to your center sq size.
Old 07-22-2011, 11:10 PM

[quote=hevemi]

Hi there! This is how I counted it, plese Ladies correct me if I'm wrong,
The original block is actually 12 1/2" ( 11 1/2 + 1/2" border, finished). For an 8" center cut your small sq's 2 7/8 to make 2 1/2 HSQs to finish 2"when sewn together. DO NOT forget your seam allowance in your center 6's and 8's!
For 6" center block you'll want 1 1/2"finished hsqs (cut 2 3/8; I would cut 2,5 squares and square to 2" unfinished. (4 x 1,5 =6). If you still want the border around your center you substract the 1/2" from your center and add 1"cut border strips to get back to your center sq size.[/quote

Wow, thank u so much
Old 07-24-2011, 05:59 AM

Since the 6" square is half the size of the 12" original, you may want the sashing to be half the width. That would be entirely too small for me to deal with. I would just fold the 1" strip in half lengthwise, iron it and sew it to the center with the raw edges lined up. Sort of a mock piping. You can either leave it loose or stitch it down.
Old 07-24-2011, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by Glassquilt
Since the 6" square is half the size of the 12" original, you may want the sashing to be half the width. That would be entirely too small for me to deal with. I would just fold the 1" strip in half lengthwise, iron it and sew it to the center with the raw edges lined up. Sort of a mock piping. You can either leave it loose or stitch it down.
Great idea, thank u.......just like the block is all. The square in the middle will be 6" and just trying to fig. the other sqs. out and size to put around it...
Old 07-24-2011, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by Glassquilt
Great idea, thank u.......just like the block is all. The square in the middle will be 6" and just trying to fig. the other sqs. out and size to put around it...
Actually, in looking at the block again, I can use the same size block and just put strips around it to make the big block too and and as u say above