Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Help! I can't turn the corner!

Question Help! I can't turn the corner!

I am trying to turn the corner with the 3 sections of sashing/blocks visible on the right hand side. Is there someplace to get directions for this plan? Can someone offer some suggestions as to how to get the 3 sections to turn the corner? Eventually, there will be the same 3 sections on the left side of this. I don't mind having to cut a block in the center knowing that that may be the only possible way to turn the corner, but I need some system of doing it as I must make about 10 of these turns. HELP!! or am I just crazy to attempt this? Thanks for any & all help.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

The center blocks and sashing strips are 4 1/2" each.

Blog Entries
    i would use a cornerstone instead of trying that complicated maneuver
    Nancy in western NY

Central Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    I want to help but don't understand what you mean.
    Are you intending for the red/green strip on the right side of your photo to be a sashing strip and it needs to go around each side of the pink/green section? And therefore, turning the corner neatly is your issue???

Jan in VA
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.

It looks like you have 2 units on the right side, 1 is only green & cream. Would it be possible for you to enlarge that to the size of what the 2 units joined is and then when you continue around the corner you would start with your unit that has the red in it? Clear as mud?

If the pictures will load, this is what I am trying to do. The green one is only folded; the purple one is pieced & accidentally turned out ok. Haven't a clue how I managed to do it!
    Attached Images Attached Images    

I would attach the solid first, then the pieced, then the solid one at a time. To do it with just one seam at the corners you need a piece of fabric that goes past the corner by the same number of inches as the border is wide. Lets say your main part is 8 inches long, then your 1st border needs to be (8 plus 4 plus 4) 16 inches long. Then you add the points area. If they are 4 inches long from corner to point you will need 12 inches for that 1st border. For the center pieced border the side will be 16 plus 4 plus 4 equals 24 inches, for the point it will be 12 inches plus 4 plus 4 which is 20 inches. Do you get the concept? You will be mitering each corner. Here is a page on youtube that is all about mitered corners. One will probably help.

http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...ac.ySjHgnxue7o

Thanks, will check it out in the morning.