Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help. long arm mechanic in Conway AR area >

Help. long arm mechanic in Conway AR area

Help. long arm mechanic in Conway AR area

Old 02-17-2016, 07:43 PM

Default Help. long arm mechanic in Conway AR area

I am in desperate need of a long arm mechanic in Conway AR area. My beautiful quilt has some backlashing ( but worse). I ended up taking areas out and redoing it but I can't keep do that. Please any suggestion is welcomed. My long arm machine is an older Nustyle and the nearest dealer is in Stover, MO about 10 hrs away.
Old 02-17-2016, 07:52 PM

Have you ever tried Magic Genie bobbin washers? I'm new to quilting but have heard they help with backlashing.
Old 02-17-2016, 08:16 PM

Just looked online at the Magic Genie bobbin washer. They are worth buying and trying. Anything is better than ripping out section of a quilt and rest itching it.
Old 02-17-2016, 08:49 PM

I agree, worth a try, for sure.
Old 02-18-2016, 05:11 AM
Power Poster

If the eyelashing is on the back, that probably means that the upper tension is off (problem on the back, usually upper tension, problem on the front usually bobbin). I would thoroughly clean your tension discs to make sure there's no lint or fluff. Not familiar with Nustyle, but most older long arms are mechanical machines and any good experienced sewing machine repair person should be able to service it.
Old 02-18-2016, 05:25 AM
Power Poster

Call Pinwheel Fabric in Alexander on Hwy 5. There is a long arm set up in the shop and it is a dealership for Janome and Sweet 16. The owner is super nice and would know repairman in the area.
Old 02-18-2016, 05:49 AM
Power Poster

You may not need a repairman. Bobbin backlash happens when you are moving the machine head fairly quickly and change directions or stop abruptly. The bobbin continues to spin leaving you with a birds nest thread blob on the back. I believe (but am not positive) the magic genie bobbin washers only fit the L class bobbin case. I am not familiar enough with your machine to know if you have an L or M size bobbin case. I swear by magnaglide prewound bobbins by filtec which come in both M and L size. (www.bobbincentral.com) While Filtec is now wholesale only, if you go to their website you can click "store locator" you can find a retailer near you or find one on line to order them.
I would start with doing a thorough cleaning of your machine in the bobbin race area. Check your bobbin case thoroughly for any lint blobs that may be caught in the tension spring area (run a fine pin under it to dislodge anything) and see if you have an anti backlash spring. http://thelongarmnetwork.com/anti-backlash-spring You can try ordering one and see if it helps. I found I still got the occasional backlash with it. It is when I use magnaglides that I never have an issue. This site also sells an anti backlash washer (like a magic genie) but only for M class bobbin cases.
These instructions are for backlash issues. If you are having eyelashing which is a different issue all together and is tension related, follow Paper Princess instructions above.

Edited to add, pay attention to your movements when quilting and try to avoid the sudden abrupt change in direction or stops. Try to keep your movements even and at the same speed. This will also help resolve your issues with backlash.

Last edited by feline fanatic; 02-18-2016 at 05:52 AM.
Old 02-18-2016, 06:16 AM

I have a Nustyle from Stover in early 90's. I use the Magic Genie washer. Also, when I've had that problem, even when I think its threaded correctly I rethread it and usually solves the problem. Other times I have changed the thread to a different spool and that's worked. Also change to a new needle.
Good luck with it!
Old 02-18-2016, 08:08 AM
Power Poster

I agree with feline fanatic. If you are moving the machine faster than it can stitch, this is the main cause of eyelashes. Try slowing down a bit and see if that helps. I happens on my older Bernina when I move the quilt to fast.
Old 02-18-2016, 02:51 PM

I had a lot of trouble with backlash. I changed to MagnaDelight prewound bobbins and also bought a new Bobbin case. No more problems. I have a AQPS Lennie.