Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
HELP! Machine or hand?? >

HELP! Machine or hand??

HELP! Machine or hand??

Old 12-08-2010, 04:08 PM

I am such a newbie, tomorrow I am going to Joann fabrics to buy my first ever yard of fabric(well a few yards actually), cutter, mat and ruler. I am very excited! I would love to hear some opinions on using a sew machine or doing everything by hand. I don' own or have access to a machine so that would also be a purchase. Time is really not a factor as I have plenty now. Thanks in advance!

David
Old 12-08-2010, 04:10 PM
Power Poster

I would say definitely piece by machine unless you are doing English paper piecing. As for the quilting I would give machine quilting and hand quilting a shot and see what you like. Welcome to the wonderful world of quilting. There are many used machines on the market and you might find soemthing for around $35 off Graig's List. all you need is a machine that straight stitches.
Old 12-08-2010, 04:12 PM
Power Poster

Well not having a machine kind of settles it then, doesn't it? If you can't afford a machine right now, I would say sewing by hand is better than not sewing at all. I recently sewed Pat's tumbling block pillow by hand because it was easier to do with all those inset seams.

Long-term, I would not get anything finished, if I were only working by hand, so I'd say save towards a machine. Hope you get a good sale at Joann for the other goodies!
Old 12-08-2010, 04:19 PM

I'd say go for it. Handmade is neat, anything hand made is expensive nowadays. And as for lasting, think on how long some old clothing and quilts have lasted over the years. Some from the early 1800s, well before sewing machines, much more from the 20s, some of the hand made laces and clothing made by nuns in convents in France were unbelievably expensive, but almost unavailable now.
I have a book of pictures of ladies in clothes from the early 1830s, from the time cameras were developed. Of course these clothes were hand made by their seamstresses, since sewing machines weren't on the scene yet. Lots of these clothes are still worthy of seeing, now on display in museums, here and in other countries.

That said, I'll have to admit that I would get very little finished without my two machines, a fairly new cheapie Brother and an old but not too old Singer.
Old 12-08-2010, 04:20 PM

I really like hand piecing, and when I first started it helped encourage me to be accurate. If you're not in a rush, give it a try!
Old 12-08-2010, 04:22 PM

I'd say start with hand piecing. It can be very relaxing and also portable. If you decide you want a machine check the thrift stores for a good vintage model. Lots of us here use and love them.
Old 12-08-2010, 04:25 PM
Power Poster

I have seen beautiful hand piecing. I sew by machine only because of carpal tunnel and the surgery after.
Old 12-08-2010, 04:46 PM

Personally~there is a place and time for both. I would plan on doing my first quilt with the machine. But I would as I got a nice collection of fabric to do some English paper piecing. Having a Grandmother's Flower garden in progress is wonderful if you have a bit of wait time everyday... you just grab the little bag of fabric, thread and needle and go.
Recently I met a man that did applique, all by hand, it was beautiful... I haven't mastered that, at all! :)
Old 12-08-2010, 04:55 PM
Banned

Do a simple nine patch pillow size by hand. You will learn how fabric needs to be manulipated and then move to machines. Also don't strive for a fancy machine at first.
Look for a quilt shop that sells and repairs machines. They may have a good simple used one for little $$. At this point in your quilt journey you just need a machine that goes forward and backward with little backward.
Also since you are just starting, look for a basic book and do the projects.
Old 12-08-2010, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by davidwent
I am such a newbie, tomorrow I am going to Joann fabrics to buy my first ever yard of fabric(well a few yards actually), cutter, mat and ruler. I am very excited! I would love to hear some opinions on using a sew machine or doing everything by hand. I don' own or have access to a machine so that would also be a purchase. Time is really not a factor as I have plenty now. Thanks in advance!

David
welcome to the world of quilting!! from one male quilter to another!

It is a great hobby to have.