Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
HELP! Machine or hand?? >

HELP! Machine or hand??

HELP! Machine or hand??

Old 12-10-2010, 01:47 PM

Also go on Craigs list under Wanted, sometimes people have machines they don't use.
Old 12-11-2010, 01:58 AM

Hi David!!! welcome to quilting (sigh) if you have a few xtra bucks, find your self a brothers machine very inexpensive, an excellents machine actually made by the same manufacturer as one of the higher priced models. wonderfuls machines. Usually available at Wal-Mart
Old 12-11-2010, 04:28 AM

WELCOME TO THE ADDICTION! Since machines that don't perform right will cause a real tantrum [lol] here, my advice is to visit a reputable dealer and maybe get a good used or starter machine. Try some handwork pieces, and machine work, explore, think of the possibilities. I love both and have to do both to keep my sanity. Let your instincts guide you.
Old 12-11-2010, 06:32 AM

I love my Janome DC 3050. It wasn't even bought for quilting but it's doing a great job! My arthritic fingers don't allow for hand stitching much so I don't do it. Try both and welcome to the world of quilting. I also have a Junor Kenmore that still sews the straightest stitch. It was $69.00 I think.
Old 12-11-2010, 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by k9dancer
Originally Posted by patdesign
If you decide to give it a try hand piecing, a good place to start might be the stained glass "cathedral" quilts since they really lend them selves to hand work and would tell you if this is something you will like, although once bitten I expect you will want to get a featherweight, since they are so cute, lightweight, portable and relatively affordable. Stay away from the cheap plastic stuff out there, you will be better off with a vintage singer and the initial investment not so many$$. Goood Luck and keep us posted!!:)
Woah, that would not be my choice for a beginner project. You must have lots more patience than I. 8-) But then again, I'm only interested in hand applique if I cannot move, and then after about 15 minutes, I'm done! Not finished, just done. That pattern is too much like needleturn applique for me, and I admire anyone that can finish one.
Stephanie
ps: I totally agree about the vintage Featherweight, though.
That patience was what happened after a run around the block with breast cancer and a 71st birthday. I USED to be Gods most IMPATIENT creature, now is my time to stop, smell the roses and learn to quilt. :D
Old 12-19-2010, 05:45 AM

I do both...I mainly machine piece but I also keep a few projects going by hand for the portability. It's amazing how much you eventually get done just a few minutes at a time while waiting.