Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
HELP: micro mini scraps for quilts >

HELP: micro mini scraps for quilts

HELP: micro mini scraps for quilts

Old 08-18-2010, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by mom-6
I can't see saving anything smaller than 1" x 1". It's just not big enough to mess with.
agreed
Old 08-18-2010, 01:18 PM

To keep from buying more fabric you can use "used"dryer sheets as your foundation.Press them flat on your lowest iron setting and sew away.I learned this on this board but can't remember from where.
Old 08-18-2010, 01:21 PM

If you do a search for miniature paper piecing patterns, you can find a lot of free 3" blocks that will use some pretty tiny scraps.

I save odd shaped snippets for that, and cut 1.5" squares out of larger bits. 1.5" is about the smallest I will really use for postage-stamp type things. I also cut 2" squares. Anything larger than that I don't precut, since I don't know what I might want it for, I just save in a box marked scraps. Strings have their own container.
Old 08-18-2010, 02:08 PM

Not everyone that does the quilts with the teeny scraps uses muslin or paper...some people just sew them together and keep sewing the snippets together until they make a block and then sew all the blocks together...I had never heard of it until this board but if you search on the board for string quilts, crumb quilts, crumb blocks you will see alot of really neat and remarkable stuff that people have done :)
Old 08-18-2010, 02:33 PM

I love that crocheted doily on your site -- is the pattern current that I might order it? Pineapples are a favorite of mine to crochet.
Old 08-18-2010, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by Sew 'N Sew
I love that crocheted doily on your site -- is the pattern current that I might order it? Pineapples are a favorite of mine to crochet.
I made this large doily from an old pattern book, I think an issue of "Magic Crochet."
I'll see if I can find it.
Old 08-18-2010, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by May in Jersey
I know the idea of using every scrap is to use it all up and save buying more fabric, go green, etc. but when you use foundation sheets or muslin to create new fabric aren't you buying more fabric? Also when I made tons of crumb blocks I needed to buy some solid colors to sash the blocks, so I saved bits of fabric in one place and bought new fabric in another. Just my input on saving really mini scraps. I rather sew some ugly fabric into a simple pillowcase and throw mini fabrics, batting, threads, etc. into and when filled it is a doggie or cat bed for the local animal shelter. May in Jersey
May, I do the same thing, any trimmings or small pieces go into the "bag" which I have sewn -good way to use ugly fabric you wonder why you bought in the first place - :) and when full I sew up the last side and donate it to the animal shelter. Right now I have several I need to take to them, just haven't had the chance. The animals don't care how ugly it looks.
Old 08-18-2010, 04:24 PM

Information about the doily.
http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-60108-1.htm#1461538
Old 08-18-2010, 04:37 PM
Power Poster

Rhonda, I love your pictures!