Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help OBW >

Help OBW

Help OBW

Old 02-11-2015, 11:08 AM

I like the flow of colors, when I'd made mine I let it in the desing wall several days changing blocks and assesing from distance until the last layout...
Old 02-12-2015, 09:00 AM

It may take you several days to figure out where the blocks go where they will be the most integrated into the design. It took me well over a month to decide where to put some blocks when I made my OBW quilt. Don't give up. The blocks are beautiful. That is a great fabric for OBW.
Old 02-12-2015, 12:01 PM

I didn't know what a OBW is so I looked it up and found this video. She placed triangles in hers and it looks good. I like yours with the triangles but when I looked at the pictures on this board (link in 3rd post) I like them blended.

A lot of help?

Not so much, but I love your colors!!
Old 02-12-2015, 03:03 PM

I personally like the blocks blurring together. I think the top one is beautiful!
Old 02-12-2015, 03:29 PM

I think it's really difficult to get the actual feel of how the blocks blend from up close. I always take a photo of my pieces on the design wall so I can look at it on the computer and it helps me see the way it blends more clearly.
Someone once mentioned you can also look at your blocks/design wall through the wrong end of binoculars, I think.
Old 02-12-2015, 06:34 PM

It is gorgeous fabric. I see what you mean about not getting the flow of color like you are looking for.

You could pick three of your bright colors and frame your hexes, just 1-1/2 inch cut strips, then still piece together as hexes (or half hexies are easier). I'm seeing the bold pink and the royal blue & royal purple...
Old 02-12-2015, 06:41 PM

i like the first choice. this is on my to do list. great choice of fabric
Old 02-12-2015, 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by TnBecky View Post
This a first try at a OBW & the fabric I chose was not a good choice. Now my problem is the blocks look fine sepreate, but when you place them together they look like a blur. So would you go ahead & sew them together anyway or would you sew triangles on each corner & put sashing in between the blocks to break them up? Any suggestions are welcome.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]509652[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]509653[/ATTACH]
I would really like to see both layouts from a distance with more of the layout showing. That's why a design wall is so great. My last quilt was on the quilt frame leaning against the bookcase, (my design wall) for about a week, and I changed out several blocks and took out some triangles and put in a different color.

That's a lot of work, but I didn't mind. I knew that if I didn't do that, I would see that spot the rest of my life and wish I had changed it.
Old 02-13-2015, 08:18 AM

While I love your colors, if this was my project, I would end up putting small black smashing around each block. I don't really care for OBWs since I don't think I could get a good placement of colors I see from others pcs.
To my eye, I just see a blur & can't really see the individual pcs you worked so hard on.
Good luck with your decision.
Old 03-03-2015, 11:15 PM

Personally, I love OBW quilts and I have made at least 5 or 6 of them. Each fabric has it's own unique look to it. It is hard to see what your quilt would look like from the close up picture you posted. But I agree with a number of posts to put up the blocks up on a design wall, and arrange them in a pleasing manner. Walk away for a few hours or the next day, and look at it again. If a few blocks need to be moved, then move them around.. then walk away again. I will leave my OBW on the design wall for at least a week, if not longer, until I can look at it, and not want to move anything around. It may be helpful to take pictures of layouts you like, and get close enough to see the blocks, so if you do move things around and don't like it, you will be able to put it back to a way you did like. It also helps to look at the picture on your computer, and if anything jumps out at you, you know it needs to be moved.
The layout of the OBW is not something to be rushed, it does take some time to get it the way you like, and there is no right or wrong way.. just what you find pleasing.