Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Help please! distorted wall hanging, can it be saved?

Unhappy Help please! distorted wall hanging, can it be saved?

I made a wall hanging and quilted the flowers on the main panel. it seems that the quilting pulled the center of the piece in and now my wall hanging is distorted...4 sides kinda pulled to the center. Is there a way to fix this? My sister bought the beautiful floral fabric and I put about 4 borders. I will try to post a picture as soon as I find out how. Thanks for any help.

Blog Entries
    Maybe blocking it? Do you think this would help?
    http://theqec.org/28/how-do-i-block-...ging-on-a-wall
    The biggest risk is the one not taken

Blog Entries
    I think you might need to add more quilting. It's hard to say without seeing a picture of it. If you only quilted the center, and the quilt is drawing up in the center, I would suggest quilting in the outer sections to "draw" those edges in also.
    Last edited by Peckish; 01-02-2013 at 10:56 PM.

the process of quilting (just like the process of applique and embroidery) always draws up the fabric some---dependant upon the amount of stitching done...it is a normal occurance and the reason for having extra fabric (when embroidering/appliqueing you cut your squares 1" + before doing the work-then trim to size when completed- with quilting the backing/batting is cut larger- then everything trimmed/squared after quilting)
    if your center is skewed---perhaps you did not (stablize) it before quilting? generally the edges (inside the borders) should be stablized-then quilted (from the center out) then the borders quilted- then the whole thing trimmed/squared-
    if you show us pictures we may have an idea of how to (fix/square up) your project- or if you did not quilt too densely you may want to remove the quilting, stablize & try again...if it is densely quilted there may be a way to block it...we need to see what happened to have ideas on (help)
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy
    Colleen's custom quilting; longarm services and custom quilt commissions.

A quilt needs to be quilted the same density over the whole surface in order for it to lay flat.
    Cindy

Curator of an 1889 Singer model 27 Fiddlebase Treadle, a 1951 Singer Centennial Featherweight, a 1956 Singer 401A, and a 1982 Bernina 830 Record.

Quote Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
    I think you might need to add more quilting. It's hard to say without seeing a picture of it. If you only quilted the center, and the quilt is drawing up in the center, I would suggest quilting in the outer sections to "draw" those edges in also.
    I agree - but hard to help without a photo. Hopefully you can post a picture.
    Betty

A quilt will warm your body and comfort your soul.

http://notesfrommoosehaven.blogspot.com

I would try blocking it before doing anything further. I have a small competition quilt that is heavily quilted in the center portion and much more lightly quilted around the outside. It lies dead flat against the wall because of blocking, so that might work for your piece as well and it's an easy thing to try. If it doesn't work, you can always try one of the other suggestions.
    The Earth without art is just "Eh".