Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help, please!! Permanent marker  removal >

Help, please!! Permanent marker removal

Help, please!! Permanent marker removal

Old 11-10-2015, 09:26 PM

The hair spray has always worked for me. Just spray well, rub with washcloth and rinse.
Old 11-10-2015, 09:46 PM

Hairspray for sure. Just buy the cheapest trial size you can find at local drug store or Walmart. Spray on the spot. If it doesn't go away on own, rub fabric very gently against itself. After that, I would wash it to remove the sticky hairspray, but I used to teach 6-7 year olds & they loved to sneak permanent markers from home to "decorate" their friends' white uniform shirts. Hairspray got it out every time even if it had been done on the way home before the weekend & had a chance to set. Just don't put the fabric in the dryer or iron it until you get the stain out or it becomes much harder to remove.
Old 11-11-2015, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by GRANNYMO View Post
I have had success with hair spray or rubbing alcohol
I have used hair spray for years to remove "permanent marker" usually works.
Old 11-11-2015, 08:49 AM

Thanks for sharing, and so glad it worked. I've never heard of this but may have to try it. I wonder if it would take out dye overrun? So you just kept applying and blotting, but then did you wash afterward? Washing is how I got the dye runs on my very best quilt that I hand appliqued (queen size) and hand quilted - took me 5 years. Now I'm afraid to wash it ever again. So frustrating, but I'm willing to try this stuff.
Old 11-11-2015, 09:09 AM
Power Poster

This works and use a cotton swab (Qtip).Start furthest away from the colored square. Often it will draw the ink away from the colored square. If you wet the colored square the ink won't be drawn to the dampness. Do Not Rub gently work the mark. Hairspray works but can also make the ink spread. That's why I suggest a cotton swab.
Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
On a scrap of the white fabric, try clear hand sanitizer. If you have a bright colour backing, be careful to only get the top wet as anything to remove the mark may leave a light spot on your backing.
Old 11-11-2015, 01:01 PM

Which product are you responding about?

Originally Posted by quiltingbuddy View Post
Thanks for sharing, and so glad it worked. I've never heard of this but may have to try it. I wonder if it would take out dye overrun? So you just kept applying and blotting, but then did you wash afterward? Washing is how I got the dye runs on my very best quilt that I hand appliqued (queen size) and hand quilted - took me 5 years. Now I'm afraid to wash it ever again. So frustrating, but I'm willing to try this stuff.
Old 11-12-2015, 04:14 AM
Power Poster

Thanks so much for the clue about using Vetrolin linament by Farnham.
Old 11-12-2015, 05:20 AM

Alcohol......that is what is in hand sanitizer.
Old 11-12-2015, 06:29 AM

Be careful of peroxide. I tried it on a table runner that I could not get a marking chalk pencil out of and it put a hole in it .
Old 11-12-2015, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by Kitsie View Post
Did you have to wet fabric first then apply hairspray on a paper towel? That's what I saw recommended. Will have to go next door to daughter and get hers! Thanks!
I would start by making several marks on a piece of scrap fabric of the same piece, layered, then using a Qtip, dab at the spots with different suggestions until one works? I have had great luck using liquid (pump spray) hairspray and a Qtip. If all else fails, you can embroider a funny little design like a lady bug or housefly using lazy Daisey stitch to cover it? Might just be time for a "design decision". Try dabbing with the wet Qtip, then blot with the dry end to keep from "migrating" the Ink?