Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Help! How to get permanent marker out.

How do I get permamnent marker out/off a quilt top? Thanks!

Cyn
    Blog Entries
    I can't imagine it would come out completely.

Try hair spray. I washed a whole load of my husband's dress shirts with a pen in the load and every one of them came out with pen marks. I soaked them in hairspray and washed them again and it all came off.

Blog Entries
    aerosol product called "spot shot."

Oxyclean advertises that it will do it. I'd have to try it.

Blog Entries
    I've heard that soaking in Tide or rubbing alcohol sometimes works on clothing.
    I hope this (or something) works for you.

Blog Entries
    I've had some luck using the 91% Isopropol Alcohol(at drug stores by the rubbing alcohol)to remove permanent marker marks from other items - worth a try. Don't you hate when that happens!!

applique over it!

quite a few years ago, when my daughter turned 16 I let her take my new car to school. After school her and her best friend came to the house, it was on a Friday night. When daughters friend got out of the car she was shocked to see that she had , had a pen in her back pocket and it broke all over the car seat. She was devistated, not wanting to make matters worse and spread the ink I waited until Monday when the car lot was open . He said he had no idea what to do, but to try K2R spot remover. It took every bit out and you could never tell there was a huge ink spot on the seat. I haven't heard of it in years. Hope they still make the product. That was 16 years ago

Blog Entries
    I got permanent marker off a white tee shirt using Fit Vegetable Wash. Also try mascara remover. It works on certain type of permanent markers. All markers inks are different. If it has a brand name go to that website and there maybe a call number for help listed or even tips on how to remove the marker ink.

Quote Originally Posted by PMY in QCA-IL
    I've had some luck using the 91% Isopropol Alcohol(at drug stores by the rubbing alcohol)to remove permanent marker marks from other items - worth a try. Don't you hate when that happens!!
    Yes, I hate it. Sigh......

Blog Entries
    alochol will dake it out

DIL removed it from a microfiber beige couch with oxyclean recently.

Whatever you try, do it on a small spot first. Don't dry it (sets the ink) and don't use detergent (will also set the ink). You might consult a dry cleaner.

The problem removing permanent marker is often in what the marker is ON. The brand of marker is important as well. All inks are different (every manufacturer has their own recipe). I can remove permanent marker from almost anything but the surface it was on may not survive the process unscathed. You might not be any happier with the results in the end.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I have had wonderful results in using 'denatured' alcohol to remove permanent markers ink but I can't say I have used it on fabric. Denatured alcohol does not have water in it from what I understand. It works great for most things I've used it for.

I just dropped a permanent marker on my brand new pink pj bottoms. I grabbed a clorox wipe, since it was sitting right there. Worked great. I have also used aerosol hairspray when my child took a permanent marker to the couch. It worked too.

Quote Originally Posted by GrandPa
    I have had wonderful results in using 'denatured' alcohol to remove permanent markers ink but I can't say I have used it on fabric. Denatured alcohol does not have water in it from what I understand. It works great for most things I've used it for.
    Denatured alcohol is 95% ethanol (ethyl alcohol) and 5% mentanol (methyl alcohol) which is the denaturing agent that makes it unpotable.

It still comes down to the surface of what the marker is on. Make very sure you want to use your solvent because they can sometimes make the problem larger than they were to begin with.

What she said.

:)

Quote Originally Posted by lab fairy
    Quote Originally Posted by GrandPa
    Denatured alcohol is 95% ethanol (ethyl alcohol) and 5% mentanol (methyl alcohol) which is the denaturing agent that makes it unpotable.

It still comes down to the surface of what the marker is on. Make very sure you want to use your solvent because they can sometimes make the problem larger than they were to begin with.

When I used to work in a corporate training department, we had a problem with trainers accidently using a permanent marker on the white boards.

Someone showed us that if you write over the permanent marker spots with the washable marker, you can erase the whole thing and there's no trace of the permanent marker!

I don't know why this works, and don't know if will work on fabric, but it was magical on white boards.

Blog Entries
    I use rubbing alcohol, lay the item where the spot is over a colandor, and pour the RA right on it. Let it go through and out the other side. Do this until it is all out. Did this on white shirt with red permanent marker spot on the pocket, big spot pen leaked.