Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help! How to get permanent marker out. >

Help! How to get permanent marker out.

Help! How to get permanent marker out.

Old 12-15-2010, 05:02 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by PMY in QCA-IL
I've had some luck using the 91% Isopropol Alcohol(at drug stores by the rubbing alcohol)to remove permanent marker marks from other items - worth a try. Don't you hate when that happens!!
Yes, I hate it. Sigh......
Old 12-15-2010, 08:44 PM

alochol will dake it out
Old 12-15-2010, 09:44 PM

DIL removed it from a microfiber beige couch with oxyclean recently.
Old 12-15-2010, 09:52 PM

Whatever you try, do it on a small spot first. Don't dry it (sets the ink) and don't use detergent (will also set the ink). You might consult a dry cleaner.

The problem removing permanent marker is often in what the marker is ON. The brand of marker is important as well. All inks are different (every manufacturer has their own recipe). I can remove permanent marker from almost anything but the surface it was on may not survive the process unscathed. You might not be any happier with the results in the end.
Old 12-15-2010, 10:40 PM
Banned

I have had wonderful results in using 'denatured' alcohol to remove permanent markers ink but I can't say I have used it on fabric. Denatured alcohol does not have water in it from what I understand. It works great for most things I've used it for.
Old 12-15-2010, 11:05 PM

I just dropped a permanent marker on my brand new pink pj bottoms. I grabbed a clorox wipe, since it was sitting right there. Worked great. I have also used aerosol hairspray when my child took a permanent marker to the couch. It worked too.
Old 12-16-2010, 12:57 AM

Originally Posted by GrandPa
I have had wonderful results in using 'denatured' alcohol to remove permanent markers ink but I can't say I have used it on fabric. Denatured alcohol does not have water in it from what I understand. It works great for most things I've used it for.
Denatured alcohol is 95% ethanol (ethyl alcohol) and 5% mentanol (methyl alcohol) which is the denaturing agent that makes it unpotable.

It still comes down to the surface of what the marker is on. Make very sure you want to use your solvent because they can sometimes make the problem larger than they were to begin with.
Old 12-16-2010, 06:35 AM

What she said.

:)

Originally Posted by lab fairy
Originally Posted by GrandPa
Denatured alcohol is 95% ethanol (ethyl alcohol) and 5% mentanol (methyl alcohol) which is the denaturing agent that makes it unpotable.

It still comes down to the surface of what the marker is on. Make very sure you want to use your solvent because they can sometimes make the problem larger than they were to begin with.
Old 12-16-2010, 06:38 AM

When I used to work in a corporate training department, we had a problem with trainers accidently using a permanent marker on the white boards.

Someone showed us that if you write over the permanent marker spots with the washable marker, you can erase the whole thing and there's no trace of the permanent marker!

I don't know why this works, and don't know if will work on fabric, but it was magical on white boards.
Old 12-16-2010, 11:27 AM

I use rubbing alcohol, lay the item where the spot is over a colandor, and pour the RA right on it. Let it go through and out the other side. Do this until it is all out. Did this on white shirt with red permanent marker spot on the pocket, big spot pen leaked.