Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: help------please

Blog Entries
    I have only done stiching by hand in a ditch. I like you don't have to sit at the machine and you are able to move.

If you are nervous about the actual quilting process you might think about tying your quilt. Double Rail Fence was the first quilt I made and I ended up tying it (at the block corners using a color coordinated yarn) just so I could have the satisfaction of finishing a quilt. That might inspire you to challenge yourself and add a different technique on the next quilt you make.

That's why I call it "Stitch NEAR a ditch". :) Don't even try to stay in the seam line - use the side of your foot as a guide - keep it on the seam line and you'll be NEAR the ditch. The decorative stitch is good, too, but don't get too fancy - it uses a lot of thread that way and I don't like how slowly I have to go to let the machine to the decorating. May be my simple machine makes that order than most?

Blog Entries
    stitching in the ditch is sometimes done only 1/4 away from the seam,not in it. so try that.

That was one of my first quilts! I had a pantograph design done by professional, but now do most of mine myself.

Feet: It may not need to be said, but if you do some straight line quilting, be sure to use a walking foot with the feed dogs up. If deciding to do free motion, use the darning foot with the feed dogs down.

I enjoy meandering; put on some good music or an audio book start in the middle, and then think gingerbread men - lol! It works for me as do the loops, hearts, O's, OR if you have a pattern backing, quilt with the backside up and follow the pattern. First, I have to do a small sample to make sure my tension is near perfect.

Just enjoy!

Blog Entries
    Do diagonal lines in both directions. This will create an "X" pattern thru your blocks. If you do this, alternate the stitching so you are creating x's. This way the quilt will not get out of shape. Use a walking foot if you have one.

saf
    Great advice. What about tension?

I did the stippling on my string quilt and it was hard on the hands because I put fleect on the back. I don't have good luck with stitch in the ditch.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

saf
    beautiful quilt.

I did a big meander on mine. It was easy, went fast, and I thought it looked good.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast