Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: help please

I want to make a rag quilt using a layer cake for front (Moda woodsy there) and flannel for the back. Will this work?

not sure if one layer cake is enough but that fabric and a flannel back would work just fine

should I cut the 10 in squares into 4?

Quote Originally Posted by Dorian
    I want to make a rag quilt using a layer cake for front (Moda woodsy there) and flannel for the back. Will this work?
    No reason it shouldn't. But be prepared for the flanel to shrink more than the other fabric. I think it will Look Very nice and be VERY cosy!!! And Rag Quilts are never done with Prewashed fabric!! So don't wash the fabrics.

should I cut the 10 in squares into 4?
    If it was me I'd leave it at 10 inchs
    8-)

I use cotton tops and flannell backing all the time... but I have not used layer cakes or other cut sqs...

IMO unless you want a very small quilt, don't cut the layer cake. A 5" square would yield a 3.5" finished block IF 3/4" seams were used (large for ragging and shrinking.)

This has worked well for me - use 10" square, 3/4" seams AND sewing an X in the middle; sewing from one inside corner to corner.

Then wash a couple of times, stopping washer and dryer frequently during drain and spin cycle to clean out lint. Don't want stopped up drains or a fire in the dryer!

thanks for all your help!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by icon17
    No reason it shouldn't. But be prepared for the flanel to shrink more than the other fabric. I think it will Look Very nice and be VERY cosy!!! And Rag Quilts are never done with Prewashed fabric!! So don't wash the fabrics.
    I just made a rag quilt with cotton front and flannel back.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-152774-1.htm

I DID however, pre wash the flannel because there is a noticeable difference in the shrinkage of flannel compared to cotton. I strongly recommend at least prewashing the flannel.

Blog Entries
    I have made rag quilts with cotton and flannel. I love how the cotton looks on the top and the coziness of the flannel on the bottom.

Moda layer cakes will very pretty but I would use 2 layer cakes if you want the quilt to be larger than a lap quilt.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast