Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help with Quilt Sandwich >

Help with Quilt Sandwich

Help with Quilt Sandwich

Old 12-14-2014, 12:11 PM

Default Help with Quilt Sandwich

Hello,

I am new to quilting. This is my first quilt that is not a table runner, and I have run into a snag. I knew from the moment I laid the batting out, I was going to have a problem. Mistake on my part for buying this kind. Anyhow, I had no issues initially quilting the squares inside the quilt, but ran into problems when I got to the borders.

The first border was fine, but as I went to quilt the second side of the border I had a problem with the fabric overlapping.
picture of the problem:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]502460[/ATTACH]

what the quilt looks like:

At this point I am not sure if I should just take out all the border stitching I did and just call it a day and bind it, or if there is a fix out there.

Thanks for any help!

-Leah
Attached Thumbnails img_9879.jpg  
Old 12-14-2014, 01:34 PM
Power Poster

It looks like you could rip out the seam as far as the overlap goes and adjust/resew the excess. If that is not possible, you could tuck the excess in and slip-stitch it closed, then keep quilting. I don't think anyone will be the wiser.
Old 12-14-2014, 01:39 PM
Power Poster

I agree with MadQuilter. I would try to resew the border seams to take up the fullness.

What type of batting did you use? And what basting technique?
Old 12-14-2014, 02:37 PM

That might work. For basting I use basting pins and work from the inside out. The batting I bought this time around 2 loft, polyester. It's low loft batting but I really struggled getting the waves out of it that it had from being stuffed in the bag.
Old 12-14-2014, 03:27 PM

I would remove what you need to of the border to change the seams.

Another thing I noticed, you need to check to see how close your batting needs to be quilted. It should be on the package. Some of your quilting looks really far apart. I mention this because I just learned the hard way that the polyester batting will disintegrate if not quilted closely enough and then washed very much.

Your quilt looks lovely!
Old 12-14-2014, 03:31 PM
Power Poster

I would unstitch the seam between the dark blue and the other floral, smooth out the extra fabric (trim if necessary)and use an invisible ladder stitch to make a new seam. Is this the only spot? If not I suggest instead of a continuous line of quilting where the extra fabric advances until it forms a bump, try quilting stand alone motifs (flowers) along the borders. This allows for a little extra puff between motifs that can disguise any problems.