Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help...red wine spilled on Quilt >

Help...red wine spilled on Quilt

Help...red wine spilled on Quilt

Old 01-16-2015, 07:39 PM

Default Help...red wine spilled on Quilt

I can't believe I just did this. I reached for my full glass of red wine and knocked it over. It went into the bag where I had the quilt that I am hand quilting.

My hand pieced,hand quilted queen sized grandmothers flower garden quilt. Of course because the quilt was in a bag the wine went everywhere.

I have it soaking I'm the bathtub with Dawn right now. Going to the store to get oxy clean.

Its background and backing is cream color....its machine basted and I am about 2/3 finished quilting the center.

What do I do once I have the wine out. Try to rinse and air dry...dare to put it in the washing machine

Help
Old 01-16-2015, 07:47 PM
Power Poster

I think I remember that you are supposed to put white wine on red wine table cloth stains?
Old 01-16-2015, 07:50 PM
Power Poster

I would not put it in the washing machine, especially since it's hand pieced. I think Oxyclean is your best bet. Don't rub. Rinse well blot with towels, then lay flat to dry.
I'd probably also have another glass of wine. Probably two.

Last edited by PaperPrincess; 01-16-2015 at 07:52 PM.
Old 01-16-2015, 08:11 PM

I just googled how to get red wine stain out of clothing and came up with all kinds of things, from salt to club soda. I have no idea what really works, but you might google and see if something looks promising. I sure hope you can get it out.

Dina
Old 01-16-2015, 08:29 PM

Thanks....I likely will have another glass of wine...this was only the start of my second small glass.

Its soaking in lots of oxy clean now. Just not sure what to do later..?

Its only 1/2 quilted...maybe a gentle wash and then air dry somewhere... Its winter here so if it goes outside it will freeze...maybe across chairs in the basement.
I was so looking forward to hand quilting will watching a movie tonight for
Old 01-16-2015, 08:45 PM

When red wine was spilled on our new plush loveseat... I ran & got the bottle of white wine & poured it on and sure enough there was no stain left. I was skeptical and hated to waste the wine but it did work.
If you get the wine out I would just continue to quilt it without any further washing. To get more of the water out you could place it between two flannel sheets and roll it up like you do with a wool sweater.
Old 01-16-2015, 09:15 PM
Power Poster

Not sure which oxyclean you used; I like the liquid best.

All you need to do once the stain is gone, is rinse the Oxyclean out of the quilt with water. You can put it into the washing machine on spin cycle to get the excess water out. I would not wash it in the washing machine, just spin. Spinning will not hurt the quilt. Lay a large flat sheet out on the carpet and place the quilt on that too dry. A fan or two will speed drying. Then continue quilting.

Edit: I am assuming the quilt is thread basted. You may want to fold The backing over the edge to protect the batting. Pin to keep in place before you put The quilt in the washer to spin.

Last edited by Prism99; 01-16-2015 at 09:18 PM.
Old 01-16-2015, 09:44 PM

Update: Thank goodness for oxy clean, it worked!
I put it in the washing machine on a gentle cycle and it came out fine. There was some shredding of the batting at the edges but as I had left extra on the sides it will be okay.
So not how I wanted to spend my evening. Thanks for the comments.
Old 01-16-2015, 09:48 PM

Oh no! I tripped going into my sewing room to show a friend this quilt top http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...ms-t40686.html and spilled red wine everywhere. On the top , on the carpet and on the walls. In a panic I remembered someone telling me to use shaving cream to remove red wine stains. Not the gel but the old fashioned white foamy stuff. It worked!! No trace of red wine left anywhere. I am also ashamed to say this top finished in 2010 is still not quilted but has no stains. LOL Sure do hope you get your stains out.
Old 01-17-2015, 12:40 AM

Oh dear, I only drink white wine when sewing, ask me why, lol, yep I too have sent red wine everywhere, either white wine (what a waste) or soda definitely remove it, and oxy as you've discovered is good too. Glad you've got it all out, happy quilting.