Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Removing Spilled paint from Sewing machine

Removing Spilled paint from Sewing machine

So I got this 115 the same day I picked up the 411G. I have done a preliminary clean up on it, and the shellac is fairly damaged on the bed. I may use Glenn's process on it, but first I think I need to remove the paint that's been spilled on it.

I have no idea what sort of paint it is, nor how long it's been there.

Name:  IMG_4737.jpg
Views: 485
Size:  116.0 KB

Name:  IMG_4738.jpg
Views: 439
Size:  89.7 KB

Any guidance would be appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Where the shellac is intact you may have some luck as shellac is resistant to some of the more common pain solvents but in general - OUCH! Goof off has worked for us in the past removing dried latex paint but I don't know what it will do to the shellac or decals. Best guess is not good. Very, very careful cleaning is the only thing I can suggest. Pretty decal set otherwise. Are those the owl decals?

I was thinking I might try whatever processes people suggest on the Rung by the balance wheel. It's the least noticeable spot.

The full decal looks like this:

Name:  Singer115ServicedNotClean.jpg
Views: 663
Size:  87.5 KB

Ismacs calls it "Wings" The only model they have it listed for is the 115. It's how I knew what the machine was as soon as I saw it. I'd seen one other before, but it was really beat up.

It may have been beat up but it's looking pretty decent now! Cool decal set.

Oh! I meant the first one I saw was bad. This one was grungy (still is) but at least all the black is present, and the chrome isn't rusty.

I was looking for the pics I took of the other ones (there were 4 machines that I found in a Junk shop, one of them was the 115) and I can't find them. I will look some more though.

Here we go, These are the 4 machines I found that day:
    It turns out I misremembered, the 115 was the best of the bunch that day. The (1)28 was the one missing all of the paint. The VS2 I took a pic of only be back because there was too much junk in front of it, and I only needed the images for my reference, the last one, I think was a Jones that someone painted, including the bobbin winder, so it was junk. It was in a Singer treadle stand with Jones irons, so the guy tried to tell me that Singer had made the machine for Jones. Or vice versa,... Singer Irons with a Jones table...

It hurt my heart to see those machines in there like that. He's not going to get much if any money for those machines, so I bet in a few more years, if that, they'll be at the dump.

Name:  28.jpg
Views: 462
Size:  54.0 KB

Last edited by ArchaicArcane; 10-31-2012 at 04:54 PM.

Nice Wings decals! They aren't very common. As for the paint drips- Hopefully they are latex so try Goof Off on a cotton swab first. That's quite a list of machines on your byline.

Hi Monroe,

DH and I both quite like that decal, it's why I knew he probably wouldn't mutter under his breath too much when I left the house for one machine and came home with 2 last week.

As best I can tell, according to ISMACS any way, the 115 is the only machine they put it on. I find it interesting that both machines I've encountered now have been pretty rough, though the 115 seems to be a fairly rare bird (ooops! punt not intended) all around.

I will try a little goo gone on the hand wheel cover and see what happens. Maybe I'll get lucky.

Is goof off and goo gone the same product? I've seen goo gone here...

The machines in my byline are a running tally of how bad my illness is getting. This is, with the exception of the 27, less than 1 year of collecting. I'm a little afraid of what year 10 will look like....

Tammi - Goo Gone and Goof Off aren't the same. Goo Gone is much gentler but I doubt it will have much effect on cured paint. Goof Off is specifically marketed for removing cured latex paint.

I've thought about putting the symbols of my addiction in my signature but I don't think I want to see them all written down like that!

Hmm,.. ok,.. I will try the goo gone that I have in the house, then if it doesn't work, I'll put the goof off on the shopping list for the weekend. Gee, the chemical product list in the sewing room is starting to rival the one in the garage....

I'm hoping a written record may serve to embarrass me into exercising a little restraint. I think I have to reach a certain number first though... possibly 50 or more.

Tammi,

The last time I tried making a list of my machines I found that I was quite the liar. VBG
    I really don't want anyone, including me, to know just how many I really have.

Cathy
    Quote Originally Posted by ArchaicArcane View Post
    I'm hoping a written record may serve to embarrass me into exercising a little restraint. I think I have to reach a certain number first though... possibly 50 or more.
    Cathy

"Most sewing machine problems are due to the carbon based unit in the chair in front of the machine"

Hmm,.. ok,.. I will try the goo gone that I have in the house, then if it doesn't work, I'll put the goof off on the shopping list for the weekend. Gee, the chemical product list in the sewing room is starting to rival the one in the garage....
    Well OK, the goo gone is working a little. It's softening the paint, but it doesn't remove it. If I dab a little on, then scrape at it with my fingernails, or in the "deep" spots with a dull needle, it's coming out. I have no idea what that says about the type of paint that it is...

Of course, the mechanical manipulation puts the decals at risk, so I may get some of the goof off after all. I was very careful, and was able to remove the "dot" of paint on the front of the bed with minimal damage to the decal (a tiny bit of the gold came off - smaller than the head of a pin, but it looks no worse, and probably better, than regular wear and tear) and the spot on hand wheel cover is gone, but it looks like the paint lifted the shellac a little - it's a little "bumpy" under where the paint was.

I will definitely post some pics of it tomorrow when I've made some significant progress. Tonight I was fading, and thought it better to step away.

Quote Originally Posted by Mizkaki View Post
    Tammi,

The last time I tried making a list of my machines I found that I was quite the liar. VBG
    I really don't want anyone, including me, to know just how many I really have.

Cathy
    Hey Cathy,

So far, it's a running joke. My friends ask: "So how many machines did you buy this week?"
    Usually if I can say no more than 2, they figure I'm still alright.

I believe I'm at 18, not counting the 99 that's in the local buy and sell. DH says that one counts, I say it doesn't. That may be a little bit of denial. I'll know for sure tomorrow, because I promised to spend some time updating my blog with the latest finds. Of course, I did hit 22 at one point, but figured I was over my limit because I couldn't even get to them to clean and oil them. I'm caught up now, ready to adopt more.

Ok,.. I think I've done as much damage as I can do here.

The goo gone seems to dry the body out, that's not terribly unexpected. A good oiling was very appreciated.

The spots under the paint look like the shellac was damaged. That could be from the paint bonding to the shellac (what it looks like to me) Or mechanical damage from my removal.

I used the process I talked about yesterday. I soaked the paint for a few seconds in goo gone, then I used the blunt needle to gently "bother" the paint until it came off. In most cases, it came off without incident. There were tiny little bits of the decals removed, but nothing like the wear and tear on the front of the machine.

In places where I wasn't confident that I wouldn't damage the rest of the decals, I did what I could to blur the edges, and lighten the paint a little to make it "blend" better. I did get lucky that the paint wasn't green, or purple or something.

The flash makes the paint show up more than it does without a camera flash. The very last pic is without a flash, just a lot of direct light.

Now, I'm going to strip the should be shiny parts and soak them and make them shiny again.

very nice! it's a beautiful machine. can't wait to see the round chrome plate all shiny again when you're done. i love those embossed metal parts.

Just finished! All that's left is to test sew it now.

It took a lot of soaking and scrubbing to get that plate clean, but it's about 99%, and that's all I can ask of this machine. Poor thing has been poked and prodded since it arrived here.

I was scared to do much more cleaning to the decals, I didn't want to end up removing them, like I did on the 27 (just a small patch)

That cleaned up pretty nicely. Now that it's back together what are you going to sew with it?

Joe

Sew? You think I sew?

I haven't decided, but with the amount of skin I lost and the number of metal slivers (someone was a little hamfisted with some of the screws before I got there), maybe bandages!

Tammi,

I get a lot of jokes made about my obsession, too. I have probably passed the hundred mark if i count all the machines in the garage that are to be worked on and then sold or given away.The space in my house for my collection is maxed out. Doubt that I could shoehorn another one in here. Well maybe a portable, definitely no more treadles.

Cathy

Hey Cathy,

So far, it's a running joke. My friends ask: "So how many machines did you buy this week?"
    Usually if I can say no more than 2, they figure I'm still alright.

I believe I'm at 18, not counting the 99 that's in the local buy and sell. DH says that one counts, I say it doesn't. That may be a little bit of denial. I'll know for sure tomorrow, because I promised to spend some time updating my blog with the latest finds. Of course, I did hit 22 at one point, but figured I was over my limit because I couldn't even get to them to clean and oil them. I'm caught up now, ready to adopt more.
    Cathy

"Most sewing machine problems are due to the carbon based unit in the chair in front of the machine"

Oh! we count the ones that are just visiting?
    Possible my friends are right then, I may have a problem.

18 - 19 machines in the collection (one is for sale, DH says it still counts) and 3 earmarked for me to pick up up north in the spring.
    5 machines ready to sell / give away, 3 waiting on parts then up for sale after tuneups
    Uhm,... 11 parts machines. 1 - 2 of them may be salvageable. One, a National Seamstress, I think, will be a bookend or something.

That makes 38 - 41. Uh oh.

DH thinks we should start displaying some of the machines outside the sewing room. I see that as affirmation that it's alright to rescue some more.

"I" do not count the number of sewing machines I have. My wife asked me once and I had to count them. That was where there were 41. There are more now and I honestly have no idea where they all are. The only thing I'm sure of is none of them are in the kitchen or bathroom. One of these days I'll hunt them all up and take a group picture. Or not.

Tammi,

Yes, in order to validate all your work you much sew with the machine.

I hate ham fisted Bubbas that ruin screw slots.

Joe

Tammi,

That is why I said IF I count the ones in the garage. The ones in the garage are only visiting (I like your term...visiting). I do have to count the ones in the garage that are planning on living with me inside (if I can shoehorn them in). I definitely do not count the parts machines.

Oh! we count the ones that are just visiting? ................
    11 parts machines. 1 - 2 of them may be salvageable.

DH thinks we should start displaying some of the machines outside the sewing room. I see that as affirmation that it's alright to rescue some more.
    Oh YES that is an affirmation to rescue more. Grab that thought and run with it. VBG

Cathy
    Cathy

Sorry for the absence. One of my furry ladies has developed some sort of issue, bladder infection or something, along with some erm,... bottom issues, and we've been on sick watch all weekend. She's at the vet now, I'm going to pick her up and get the news shortly.

Quote Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
    "I" do not count the number of sewing machines I have. My wife asked me once and I had to count them. That was where there were 41. There are more now and I honestly have no idea where they all are. The only thing I'm sure of is none of them are in the kitchen or bathroom. One of these days I'll hunt them all up and take a group picture. Or not.
    Well, I'm a little embarrassed to say that there are often sewing machines in the kitchen here. They go there to be photographed before sale, and to get out of my sewing room when I'm tripping over them.

I'd like to see a group photo of your machines. I'm reminded of the huge class pohtos we used to have in school where everyone stood on the risers in the gym and the photographer stood wayyyyyy back....

Tammi,

Yes, in order to validate all your work you much sew with the machine.

I hate ham fisted Bubbas that ruin screw slots.

Joe
    Ohkay.... I guess I'll sew something.
    I may put a motor on it for now though to do it. I had been thinking of a nice cover for it,... or a quilted table cloth sort of thing for the table in the trailer.

Yes,.. Bubba sucks.

Sorry for the absence. One of my furry ladies has developed some sort of issue, bladder infection or something, along with some erm,... bottom issues, and we've been on sick watch all weekend. She's at the vet now, I'm going to pick her up and get the news shortly.
    Here's hoping for the best. We've had to deal with a couple of bladder infections in our furry friends around here and it's an open question whether the ailment is worse than the cure. The antibiotics lead to more, errr, bottom issues and tend to put them off their feed. Since the cats were already sick being off their food just exacerbates it. Arial never did regain any weight and Isabella hasn't yet Hope you have better luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Mizkaki View Post
    Tammi,

That is why I said IF I count the ones in the garage. The ones in the garage are only visiting (I like your term...visiting). I do have to count the ones in the garage that are planning on living with me inside (if I can shoehorn them in). I definitely do not count the parts machines.
    OK,.. I'm good with that. All of the machines here are in the basement, if they're not being worked on or going out the door. DH often takes them downstairs, and makes sure he brings me a running total of the number of machines down there. The number of machines doesn't get me though, the number of cabinets that are collecting down there does. There are 4 cabinets currently, I try to send them with the machines, but they don't always go. I forsee needing to stack them soon...

Oh YES that is an affirmation to rescue more. Grab that thought and run with it. VBG

Cathy
    I think he's also a little more comfortable with it now that I'm starting to learn the "release" part of the catch and release program I started here. Either way, I'll expand into the other rooms, he doesn't have to ask twice (and might not once it starts to happen.)

Thank you!

I had similar problems about 6 years ago with gizmo, my little old grey lady before she passed. The pills made her so sick and she was a bear to keep eating. She had renal issues, and hyperthyroid. In the end though, it was the undiagnosed stomach cancer that got her.

I'm just terrified of the results I'm going to get in 20 mins. This is similar to what started the whole merry go round ride with gizmo. stormi is 16 1/2 years old, I've had her since she was about 4 weeks old. I'm a little attached to her. When they expressed her A glands this morning I almost passed out when she started screaming.

I've heard that cats don't have a strong "hunger" drive, and can switch it off, and once switched off, it's hard to switch it back on. I will be making some chicken breasts for her tonight, and sprinkling brewer's yeast on it. Yes, it's stacking the deck, but I'm willing to do it. All I could get her to take in on the weekend was tuna juice and the gravy from her favorite food. I prefer chubby kitties, they're always healthier. (CRF and hyperT kitties are never chubby) Told the vet that too. She knows I will let them eat as much they want, as long as they don't get fat.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast