Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help!! small hole in the top of the quilt >

Help!! small hole in the top of the quilt

Help!! small hole in the top of the quilt

Old 02-03-2017, 02:16 PM

Default Help!! small hole in the top of the quilt

I am hand quilting a whole cloth white quilt for grandson's wedding gift and I made a big boo-boo. I used my embroidery scissors to cut the thread and it clipped a small hole in the top of the quilt. I was thinking about putting a small applique of a heart over the hole since it is for a wedding. Just my luck the hole is close to the center of the quilt. I need ideas and suggestions on how to save this quilt. I have a lot of time and money invested.
Old 02-03-2017, 02:26 PM
Power Poster

If it is a small slit I would put a bit of a fusible under the slit, bring the fabric together over it and press it with my iron. Once the hole is controlled I might add an applique. Perhaps two little hearts joined? A picture might help so others could see the problem.
Old 02-03-2017, 03:06 PM
Power Poster

A heart near the center would probably look odd by itself. I would fuse the slit and then hand quilt a tiny flower design around it making the slit the stem or part of the flower.
Old 02-03-2017, 03:55 PM

How about an applique of two intertwined hearts? The names of the couple?
Old 02-03-2017, 06:37 PM

Do you know how to embroider? You could do a satin stitch heart over the hole and the wedding date under it.
Old 02-03-2017, 06:41 PM

Could we please see a picture of the quilt & just where the small hole is located on it. This might help with suggestions.

If a single appliqued heart looks odd could you scatter a few (2 or 3) over other areas of the quilt so it looks like they were meant to be?
Old 02-04-2017, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by osewme View Post
Could we please see a picture of the quilt & just where the small hole is located on it. This might help with suggestions.

If a single appliqued heart looks odd could you scatter a few (2 or 3) over other areas of the quilt so it looks like they were meant to be?
I tried numerous times to upload a photo but it failed to upload each time. The slit is about 1/4" long but it is in a flower near the center and that same flower appears numerous times throughout the quilt. I will be doing good to get it quilted let alone applique or embroider in each flower. There are 8 of these flowers around the center of the quilt and I was trying to think of something that I could do in just those 8 or maybe 4 of the flowers. The problem is the location is awkward. The slit is near the center of the flower
Old 02-04-2017, 09:06 AM
Power Poster

Maybe you could do the fusible under the hole and then do some zort of dense embroidery in tbe centers of four of thise flowers - try to make it look like part of the design.

So=y this happened - i know it is distressing .
Old 02-04-2017, 09:33 AM
Power Poster

Since it is a whole cloth and already quilted, I would add a few hand appliquéd flowers in the flowers that you have quilted. Scatter the placement around the quilt so it looks planned. Prepare the edges of the flower applique already turned under then pop the knot of the thread through the top, applique the flower in place and then pop the end knot into the sandwich. With time and patience you can do it.
Old 02-04-2017, 10:01 AM

happened to me and I hand embroidered a heart over it - it was for a grandchild. If it's in the middle scatter 2 - 3 others around, they don't take long to do)