Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help!! small hole in the top of the quilt >

Help!! small hole in the top of the quilt

Help!! small hole in the top of the quilt

Old 02-04-2017, 10:31 AM

I think appliqueing a heart over the hole would be nice but then you might want to think about putting a few more hearts thru out the top to make it look like that was intended to be the pattern. Good luck on your decision.
Old 02-04-2017, 11:11 AM

How about appliquing a small butterfly over the cut? It would be a whimsical design element you wouldn't have to repeat on each flower. Butterflies flit from flower to flower. There only needs to be one butterfly. If need be, embellish the butterfly with a little embroidery. Antenna and eyes might be nice. When you are done, you will like it and be proud of yourself.
Old 02-04-2017, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by Fabric Galore View Post
I tried numerous times to upload a photo but it failed to upload each time. The slit is about 1/4" long but it is in a flower near the center and that same flower appears numerous times throughout the quilt. I will be doing good to get it quilted let alone applique or embroider in each flower. There are 8 of these flowers around the center of the quilt and I was trying to think of something that I could do in just those 8 or maybe 4 of the flowers. The problem is the location is awkward. The slit is near the center of the flower
Can you applique a tiny white heart so it barely shows? Then maybe one in a couple more flowers in the center; all tiny and white?
Old 02-05-2017, 03:48 AM

Is it right in the center of the flower? How about a yo-yo from the same fabric to cover the hole and do several of them in the flowers just in the center of the quilt? I like the idea of the embroidered design, too. Satin stitch and it will hold the boo-boo.
Old 02-05-2017, 04:47 AM

I would do the fusible first. After that's done, look at it from a few feet away and think about what you could put there that would not be noticed. As someone suggested, maybe just a simple satin stitch in a matching color thread. Maybe just a tiny heart done in satin stitch with matching thread. If you have time, do more than one. If you don't have time to do more than one, do one and let it go. (and don't tell anyone for a least a year)

bkay
Old 02-05-2017, 06:47 AM

I would try the fusible repair first. If you don't like how it looks I would add several intertwined heart appliqués to the quilt to make it look like you planned it that way. Or depending on how close it is to the center, could you put just 2 larger intertwined hearts in the center to cover it? I would love to see the quilt. It sounds beautiful.
When I have trouble uploading a picture it is because I took it in too large of a size. You probably need to reduce the size.
Old 02-05-2017, 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
A heart near the center would probably look odd by itself. I would fuse the slit and then hand quilt a tiny flower design around it making the slit the stem or part of the flower.
I think this is the best answer that I've seen here. If you add appliqué, the quilt is no longer a "whole cloth".

Last edited by Ellen 1; 02-05-2017 at 07:30 AM.
Old 02-06-2017, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by meanmom View Post
I would try the fusible repair first. If you don't like how it looks I would add several intertwined heart appliqués to the quilt to make it look like you planned it that way. Or depending on how close it is to the center, could you put just 2 larger intertwined hearts in the center to cover it? I would love to see the quilt. It sounds beautiful.
When I have trouble uploading a picture it is because I took it in too large of a size. You probably need to reduce the size.
Thanks meanmom. I reduced the size of the photo and it uploaded for me. You can see the small pin hole just to the bottom right of the center of the flower. You can see the entire quilt pattern at christianlanequilters.co. It is the Welsh Beauty and this is one of the flowers around the center.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]567642[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails quilt-error-1.jpg  
Old 02-06-2017, 08:16 AM

I think a little dab of Fray Block would be enough. Test it on a scrap if you have one to make sure it does not show too much. Just a "little dab'l do ya"! :-)
Old 02-06-2017, 11:41 AM

After seeing the picture, I would hand embroidery in satin stitch with thread that exactly matches the fabric to close the hole. No one will know it is there but you.