Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
HELP !  Subsitute for black felt >

HELP ! Subsitute for black felt

HELP ! Subsitute for black felt

Old 04-13-2015, 09:20 AM
Power Poster

Default HELP ! Subsitute for black felt

I received my new digital issue for Quilter's Magazine. My senior citizen group is making roosters quilts for our quilt show in May. I wasn't going to do one until I saw this funky chicken.

http://www.quiltersworld.com/inthisissue.php (scroll down to 5th pattern)

I am doing him in batiks. But the black outline is done with common black felt. I am not sure I can get access to any black felted wool. Is there anything else that won't fray?? Lots of pointed angles in this quilt. I don't expect him to be washed very often.
Attached Thumbnails funky-chicken.jpg  
Old 04-13-2015, 09:39 AM
Power Poster

i got some polyester felt at Michaels and it didn't run when washed.
Old 04-13-2015, 09:51 AM
Power Poster

A piece of faux ultra suede would work. If you have black batik, it doesn't fray much and would work. You might be able to get almost the same effect if you did black satin stitch instead of the fabric. You could maybe use black 1/8 inch ribbon instead of fabric or couche black yarn.
Old 04-13-2015, 10:32 AM
Power Poster

Go to a thrift shop & get a 100% wool garment in black. Lady's blazers and skirts seem to be the best weight for me. Toss it into a hot wash & dryer to felt.
Old 04-13-2015, 11:36 AM

Could you couch black wool yarn around? They have some very unique choices now.
Old 04-13-2015, 11:52 AM

Is it the "Poultry In Motion" one? debcavan posted her Tiffany Stained Glass on this board. I think it is in the tutorials. That is probably the same idea that nanacc was thinking of, but Deb C. said she used Red Heart 2 ply because it was what was available in her home town. I would preshrink and guard against dye running by washing the yarn in a measuring cup in the microwave until the water is clear.

I looked again at that chicken art and wonder if all those pieces are cut and arranged on a black felt backing, leaving small gaps to make it look like it's edged in black. I play around with felt sometimes and buy whatever JoAnn's has, doesn't have to be wool. I prewash all of it. Just don't leave it in the washer too long or wrinkles can be hard to get out. Right now, I'm helping someone put a black felt heart on a white sweatshirt as part of a costume. I think the felt is a synthetic, so cover it to press.

Last edited by elnan; 04-13-2015 at 12:01 PM. Reason: looked again
Old 04-13-2015, 05:00 PM

Once you decide the shape yours will be.... why don't you draw out the shape and then cut out a black cotton fused shape to place your chicken on; you can then machine stitch around the shape or do a satin stitch around it before applying the chicken shape?
Old 04-13-2015, 06:59 PM

Do you have any black bias tape on hand, like 1/4". For some odd reason, I have lots of it on hand, a few boxes of the stuff, all widths and colors. I would use that, put it on each piece like you are binding a quilt. It turns in the round also because it is bias. I just picked up an old 2000 quilting magazine and it has 2 roosters and one chicken running, and since the DE Blue Hen is the U/DE mascot, I think I will try to make this one. Surprise my daughter who is a devoted fan. Good luck with whatever method you use.
Old 04-14-2015, 10:55 AM

How about black fleece