Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help for T-shirt quilt >

Help for T-shirt quilt

Help for T-shirt quilt

Old 01-12-2014, 08:43 AM

You could also look in your area and see if anyone is teaching a class on how to make t-shirt quilts. I have made 2 so far, one with all the blocks the same size the other different sizes. Both people loved them and I have 4 more to make.

I completely agree with stablizing the shirts before trying to sew them together. They are easier to work with all the way around.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]456147[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]456148[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails dscf3388-800x600-.jpg   dscf3126-640x480-.jpg  
Old 01-12-2014, 08:53 AM

I cut the tee shirts apart and the shoulders and the sides. Then I fuse a stabilizer on the back of them, about a half yard for each one. I lay the tee shirts face down on a teflon pressing sheet and fuse the interfacing to the back. Then and only then, cut the tee shirts the size you want them to be. They don't all have to be the same size. You can add strips of fabric on the smaller ones to make them larger. Use your imagination and sew them together. You can add appliques and embroidery and pieced blocks if you want to. You are the designer. Tee shirt quilts are fun to make.
Old 01-12-2014, 08:50 PM

I LOVE, LOVE the Zeta Tau Alpha quilt above!

This thread reminds me that I have a garbage bag full of t-shirts upstairs that I need to make a quilt out of for my brother in law.
Old 01-12-2014, 09:42 PM

I've made several commission t-shirt quilts as well. Adding a stabilizer to the shirts does add time and cost, but it really makes the quilt come together better.

Go to Google images and search for t-shirt quilts. As you scroll through all of the pictures, make note of design ideas that you like, and what you don't like. I prefer to use a sashing between every shirt so that your eyes have a resting place. I've also seen lots of t-shirt quilts that I absolutely loved, and they didn't use any sashing.

Before I start on a quilt, I number all of my shirts and put information about each shirt into an excel spreadsheet. This was in one of the books I bought on Amazon, and I use it all the time now. For each shirt I list the primary color, subject, minimum and maximum block width and height. One of the tips in this book also suggested that you only work in even numbers. Try to keep your shirt designs to 8", 10", 12" and 14". If you only have one design that's 8" wide, can add a complementary 2" frame around it to turn it into a 12" block. It will really make it easier for you to match up shirts with the same width.

Have fun making yours!