Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help!! >

Help!!

Help!!

Old 11-06-2012, 07:03 AM

I had this happen with jelly roll quilt. Luck was with me as I had not sandwiched it yet. I redid the seams where it was frayed. You could put some "Fray Stopper" on it (can get this at any fabric store) and then decorative stitch over it. My question is did you use a walking foot. If you don't have one, get one. This foot keeps fabric layers even when stitching.
I had my manual to my sewing machine and was able it order one online. I use the walking foot all the time now.
Old 11-06-2012, 08:42 AM

It just looks like some of the seams got a little narrow. That's okay! It has happened to all of us at one time or another! Just lap the side with the most fabric on it over the other side, then hand or machine stitch over it. If you want to really cover it and don't have any more fabric, just remember that all fabric in a quilt usually doesn't come from the same line. You could also use bias tape or rick-rack to hide it. There are bunches or creative ways to cover our booboos. You did well for a beginner. Just keep it up!
Old 11-06-2012, 11:35 AM
Power Poster

I think I would fold over the fabric, and hand stitch in place where the fabric decided to "sneak out". I think I would then do a small zig -zag stitch over the rows to make sure none of the other fabric decides to "sneak out" too. First of all, congratulations on making the quilt, and although I've been quilting a long time, sometimes I've had the same problem. Whatever you do, don't quit quilting because of one possible mistake, after all the Amish deliberately put in a small "mistake" because only God is perfect. I don't need to do that,as I can make a mistake all on my own., LOL
Old 11-06-2012, 12:00 PM

If you need to fiddle with it to get it all lined up before stitching down, I'd use Elmers SCHOOL Glue...the school glue is actually a thick starch and will wash out easily. But, meanwhile, you can adjust and press with your fingers until you have it just right.Then iron it down, using a piece of parchment so your iron doesn't get sticky and proceed to stitch it tightly. Every quilt gives us it's own lessons!
Old 11-06-2012, 02:59 PM

Thanks again everyone! I'm heading out right now to my local craft/sewing store for some Fray Check and a fusable interface! I will keep everyone posted!
Old 11-06-2012, 03:13 PM

Use Wonder Under by Pellon. It comes in different weights and if I were you, I would use the lightest one. I have had this happen to me with LQS fabric that frayed like the dickens and I put the WU under the seam using a piece about 1/2 inch on either side of the seam. Then slip stitch the fabric together by hand and follow the directions for the WU.
After that, if you want to put decorative stitches on every seam, you will probably have seams that are indestructible!
And you can also say that it is just the way you planned it, which will be absolutely true. After all, that's what a fourth down punt is--something preplanned. froggyintexas

Originally Posted by SamanthaTheQuilter View Post
Thanks again everyone. As I said I'm new to this so I really appreciate all of the tips and advice! Will the fusible just kind of act like glue and hold the fabric down? I'm not really familiar with it....
Old 11-06-2012, 10:15 PM

I'm too new at quilting to say anything except I'm so sorry this happened to you. As the old saying goes better luck next time and with the advice from all these good quiltrs on the QB am sure you'll do great next time.