Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hexie Dilemna >

Hexie Dilemna

Hexie Dilemna

Old 01-01-2015, 12:30 PM

*** Pretty with which ever you choose.
Old 01-02-2015, 04:28 AM

Originally Posted by Grammie Sharon View Post
I've been making 1 inch hexies for a grandmothers flower garden out of the mini charm packs (2"squares) using Civil War and Reproductions ones. I was going to alternate each flower light dark, etc. There seems to be more darks in the packs and my center is all the same. I'm not happy with them. When I put the darks together they seem to look better. (Pic on left compared to right) The fabric they are laying on will be what connects them together. Any suggestions. I am getting frustrated and want to quit but I love doing them.
I think there are too many values in your flowers that are the same as your background. Try making your background lighter or very dark and with not as much pattern in it and I think it will work - not enough contrast as it is now. Good luck with your project.
Old 01-02-2015, 06:39 AM
shy

I have made many belie quilts..I find when using so many colors..the background and the center .Should be solid color to pull it all together..your centers are light enough design wise to be ok...but try some of your flowers on some solid color material..natural. or light tan would give u the effect u are looking for ..I think..since u want the flower to be the main draw to the eye of the looker..a good thing to do also is lay the background material down..put some flowers on top..then step back and look..if your eyes go all over the piece..and are not drawn to one thing...then u are balance with the colors.if something is off u will keep going back to it...when working with so many colors and patterns u have to give a break to it all with the solid connecting pieces..I also love working with hexie. I posted a hexie quilt I just finish a couple weeks ago.it would show u what I mean about the breaking up of color and patterns..
Old 01-02-2015, 06:43 AM
shy

I never heard of a belie quilt....lol..the auto correct on this kindle has a mind of it own..Should have been hexie..lol
Old 01-02-2015, 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by Jo Belmont View Post
I love your fabrics, Sharon, and I agree that the all-dark flowers look better against the medium value of the background; that being the reason too, I believe, that the mixed do not have the same pop --- the medium value petals are getting lost against the background. Summarily: Value.

But the romance of the Civil War repros is there and, using each and every one of the fabrics in the collection, I would take this approach: Set all your flowers around the same-color centers as you have done. Mix the darks, lights, mediums on each flower and set them in place. Then, to set them up with high contrast, quilt with a decorative stitch on the outside edge of each "flower" in a very dark brown or even black - perhaps 30-weight thread (size 16 needle, topstitch [sharp], large hole).

Hope some of this helps.

~Jo
I am not a hexi expert nor do I play one on tv. Heck I've never made a single hexagon let alone a whole hexi quilt but I love this idea. I can picture it and I feel like it would look like something your great grandmother would have made with the dark stitching around them.

Whatever you choose I'm sure it will be wonderful the fabrics are very pretty.
Old 01-02-2015, 07:23 AM

I agree that the darks on the petals look the best.
Old 01-02-2015, 07:38 AM

I think part of the charm of hexes is the different colors, light and dark in each so I think you solution would be to change your background fabric, either a couple of tones lighter or darker, that would set off more of a contrast with the light fabric hexes.
Old 01-02-2015, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
I might try something lighter for the background like what you used for the center.
I agree, if you use the same fabric you used in your centers, it would solve your problem
Old 01-02-2015, 07:52 AM
Power Poster

The fabric you are using for your centers would be a great backfround fbric.

I like the medium to dark " petals" better. The light ones get absorbed into the background.
Old 01-02-2015, 08:02 AM
Power Poster

Is your heart set on GFG? There are loads of other designs you can make using the hexies where you can mix up your mediums lights and darks. I am a fan of forming the diamond shape with hexis.

Like the first quilt in this blog, but please scroll down for some amazing takes on hexi quilts that should inspire you to continue on.
http://suegarman.blogspot.com/2013_05_01_archive.html

Last edited by feline fanatic; 01-02-2015 at 08:19 AM.