Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
"hope chests" >

"hope chests"

"hope chests"

Old 02-20-2014, 05:43 PM

I envy those of you who have/had hope chests! My mother thought they were "lower class" and so never permitted us to have one. How sad is that? While my husband and I received many lovely new gifts when we were married, there was nothing as special as what might have been stored in a hope chest. Let alone that if I hadn't married, I'd never have received anything - even tho I'd still have had to set up housekeeping!

I want to encourage everyone to start a hope chest - call it whatever you like! - for the young people they love. While colors and patterns come and go, love never goes out of style. Even in the rare event that the beneficiary never uses the quilt or dish towels or pillow cases or whatever, the love and forethought (=belief in the loved one's future!) that went into the creation will almost certainly be treasured.
Old 02-20-2014, 06:01 PM

My daughters (25 and 23) LOVE when I make placemats and table runners for them and also aprons. They both like to change them according to the season/holiday. They also love the quilts and pillow shams I've made for them.
Old 02-20-2014, 08:19 PM

I asked my 15 year old if she had a grandma to do that for her would she appreciate it? Her response, Yes! "I would appreciate whatever they were but if I could choose I would want them holiday themed." Hope that helps.
Old 02-20-2014, 08:22 PM

That is a wonderful and loving idea!!!
Old 02-20-2014, 11:47 PM

I still have mine also! It houses all the family heirlooms....somehow I wound up with all my siblings baptismal gowns. Does anyone remember "Lane" chests? When we were in high school (60's) they gave out miniature chests in the hopes that you'd buy from them.
Old 02-21-2014, 12:21 AM
Power Poster

What a great thread. My mother and I are English transplants to Australia. In England my mother called it "the bottom drawer", but when we got to Australia, here they refer to it as a "Glory Box". Whatever the name, it is a wonderful idea...there are so many things that are "timeless" and useful. Who wouldn't love handmade pillowcases, sachets for pot-pourri or lavender, lingerie bags, stocking bags, table linen, heat pads, potholders table runners.....a stunning quilt...all future heirlooms. Even more special if they are "signed" and dated. I still have and use a hand embroidered divided bag for stockings, made by my great-grandmother.
Old 02-21-2014, 05:25 AM

I like the Apron idea, with towels & pot holders, mats to match! Also any small thing to use as a décor piece, table toppers, holiday items. Lots of 'younger' ones, really aren't interested in 'older' tastes, BUT, eventually they grow a little older, and REALLY appreciate what Grandma made !
Old 02-21-2014, 06:03 AM

Location: Ohio, the land of 4 seasons. sometimes all in the same week!

yes, tastes change. my youngest is 20. just 2 years ago everything was greys. now it is evolving into greys and purples. but, sigh, she loves Halloween and BATS still. even has 3 bat tattoos. yea . . . hoping that evolves into grandkids and maybe cooking. She tried sewing. made 1 baby quilt and decided it wasn't EVER going to become a hobby. so, yes, bed runners and pillow cases in neutrals or table toppers for holidays, a couch sz quilt or wall hanging with their college colors, placemats, kids placemats for THEIR kids, (even if they don't have them yet), shaving kits for travels and dorm room living or a make up brush roll for the girls. oh, have fun!
Old 02-21-2014, 06:23 AM

Our DDIL asked for a blanket chest (aka: hope chest) for Christmas 2012. Since my husband was going to make it, he asked if I would like one too. So I finally have my hope chest too. LOL I think all the ideas suggested are good ones for filling it. I know my daughter would appreciate the timeless items, plus any themed items for decorating for the holidays. You are a thoughtful grandparent to leave them such a legacy of handmade items for generations to come!
Old 02-21-2014, 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by Nammie to 7 View Post
Dunster, you always have such good suggestions!! I have a granddaughter who will be going to college in a year and would like to start putting her "hope chest" together. She loves orange -- I saw orange pans the other day. Really need to ask if she would like them for her "someday" kitchen.
Nannie7 - we have teased my aunt for more than 50 years about her love of orange..... it is one of those colors i think that you either like or DON'T like....if she likes orange, i don't think her taste will change. Just FYI ......i STILL have and use my avacado blender and my goldenrod food processor.....