Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
how accurate is "accurate enough" ? >

how accurate is "accurate enough" ?

how accurate is "accurate enough" ?

Old 07-23-2013, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by Chasing Hawk View Post
Sometimes my best intentions are to be accurate in my block sizes. But I allow myself some leeway. If it measures to within an 1/8" larger or smaller I am good with that.

I try and remember nothing is to be made perfect. To do so is comparing yourself to the creator.
I couldn't agree more. A lot depends on what I'm making the quilt for. If it's for a quilt show, I care more than if I'm making it for a child to drag around. I try to remind myself that I sew for fun. There are enough stressors in life.
Old 07-23-2013, 09:24 AM

I enjoy crazy quilting cause there is less worrying about accuracy. I have found using an old singer magnet found in the draw of my old 301 desk is very useful to guiding the fabric to line up to the 1/4 inch mark.
Old 07-23-2013, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
It is #37 and I think it is called the Patchwork foot. That foot has a 1/8 inch seam allowance at the front edge as well as the notch lets you know when you are exactly 1/4 inch from the end of the seam. I find this very handy for stopping an exact 1/4 inch from the end when sewing my binding corners.
Thanks, Tartan. I have the same #37 foot and I didn't realize it had the 1/8" nor did I know what that notch was for. Wow, I learned something important today. I love this forum.
Old 07-23-2013, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by quiltmom04 View Post
I have found thorough trial and error that thread size does affect the seam allowance. So I try to use the same thread throughout the piecing. With "So Fine" from Superior Threads, my seams are more true to 1/4" . With Connecting threads thread, I have to allow almost 1/16" to account for the width of the thread. Finished block size, I like to stay within 1/8" of what it's supposed to be, and I try ( notice I said TRY) to be extremely accurate when star points are right on the seam line. If they aren't quite to the seam line, I can live with it, but if they are chopped off, it really bothers me.
Same here, I stopped using Connecting Threads cotton thread for piecing and am using up cones of polyester serger thread. I have tons of it from when I used to sew for the public. It used to be the elusive quilt police frowned on using polyester thread on cotton quilt fabric, but once I realized it was okay, I've been using ever since. It DOES seem to make a difference because the thread is thinner.

My Brother Dreamweaver allows me to change the needle positions in increments as small as 1/8 of a millimeter, but the seam will only be accurate if I follow the guide precisely. I have to have an additional guide besides just the edge of the foot or the edges of my patches will tend to wander under the foot and loose a nanometer or two in the stitching. I especially tend to wander off when sewing HSTs and other pointy-ended patches.
Old 07-23-2013, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by Lori S View Post
As long as it lays flat , and the points aren't chopped off , is the measurement I use.
I go by this as well, except I usually have at least a couple points lost. But if it lays flat I'm good.

Last edited by tesspug; 07-23-2013 at 01:20 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-23-2013, 07:33 PM

Great thread (topic, I mean) I, too, have a Bernina and was using the #37 foot, as well as trying to follow the 1/4" line on the bed of the machine. I recently bought the #57 foot, which is like the #37 but has the edge guide on the right side. I love it so much more! The first time I used it was just before the 4th of July when I decided to make a small one-block quilt to hang on the front door instead of a patriotic wreath. I had three pieces of patriotic fabric, one with a white, one with red and one with blue background. I made a white Friendship Star with the red fabric and bordered it with the blue. The #57 foot really, really made it easy.
I've used the #37 foot for years but will probably not ever use it again. Well, maybe, but #57 is now my favorite foot! Today I finished the top of a baby quilt that has rows of 2.5" squares of alphabet fabric and coordinating brights. Again, the #57 foot really made it easier to be more accurate. I do know you can get the same type foot for other machine, too. It's not exclusive to Bernina.
Old 07-23-2013, 08:26 PM

When assisting the judges at a major quilt show, I learned that if a seam was one thread width off, they let it go but when it was two thread widths off, they marked down for it. They said that two thread widths could be corrected but one might not be able to be corrected.

Yes, judges DO measure. And the binding, BTW, is the first thing they check.
Old 07-24-2013, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by Lori S View Post
As long as it lays flat , and the points aren't chopped off , is the measurement I use.
Me too! I take extra care if I'm making blocks for a swap or donation to make sure they are the correct finished size... the rest of the time as long as they fit right and look good I'm satisfied.

Auriful thread helps too!