Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How difficult is this Judy Neimeyer pattern? >

How difficult is this Judy Neimeyer pattern?

How difficult is this Judy Neimeyer pattern?

Old 06-12-2014, 07:50 AM

I usually learn so much trying something for the first time I plan a second project for when I'm good at the technique.
Old 06-12-2014, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
I found tons of mistakes and inconsistencies in Judy's earlier patterns, and they weren't documented online. However I understand that the later patterns are better written. I think the hardest part of her quilts is deciding on fabrics. After that it's tedious and time consuming, but not difficult, to finish the top.
There are corrections for almost every pattern on Quiltworx website. None were noted for the Prairie Star. http://www.quiltworx.com/patterns/prairie-star/ I didn't know to look for corrections until I was half through with BWS. Good thing is that there were several corrections but none were what I would call critical.
Old 06-12-2014, 02:22 PM

I think her instructions just need to be followed line by line - don't just ahead and don't let the length of the instructions intimidate you. Just do one step at a time and you will be fine! I have one of her patterns and all the fabric -- did one block and then didn't have the time to do anymore so it is in the drawer or closet somewhere. I hope to work on it this summer!
Old 06-12-2014, 06:16 PM

Just the name Judy Neimeyer strikes fear in the hearts of many a quilters.............
Old 06-13-2014, 04:17 AM

The life of a quilter should have challenges! If you have been quilting for a while you know the things you currently feel comfortable with. JN patterns have better instructions because she was willing to design beautiful quilts and learn how to interpret them to others. Just know that you are expanding your skills, read carefully (sometimes several times) and follow step by step (no shortcuts allowed) and you will be rewarded. If you follow step by step I know you will be successful and you will love your quilt.
Old 06-13-2014, 04:18 AM

Originally Posted by Chester the bunny View Post
Just the name Judy Neimeyer strikes fear in the hearts of many a quilters.............
AMEN!! lol.. but I hope to try one, her designs are just so beautiful..go for it and let us all know how you're doing maybe you will inspire some of us to jump in..
Old 06-13-2014, 05:11 AM

Beautiful, but not for me.
Old 06-13-2014, 05:19 AM

She has some beautiful patterns, but I've never done paper piecing before. I think I'll start with Alex Anderson's learn to paper piece first. LOL
Old 06-13-2014, 05:37 AM

When I saw JN patterns, I fell in love with her designs! One of her certified instructors who lives in our area teaches classes, so I signed up for a class. The instructor allowed students to select whatever JN pattern they wanted to make, so I chose Tropical Rainbow. I have always loved PP because it is so accurate! I did find her instructions very confusing at first. Because I was out of town, I missed a couple of classes, but the instructor also holds JN UFO classes, so I went to one so that I could stay on track. After that class, I was able to complete the quilt myself. For myself, I found that my huge design board is a must for lay out. My TR is at my LA quilters, so when I get it it back, I'll post pictures. Since falling in love with JN patterns, when I find a sale, I buy them. I have two file cabinets full of JN patterns, and I'm always looking for ones that I don't have. Hint, hint! All this being said, I say jump in and get started. If you need help, there should be plenty of willing quilters to assist or advise.
Old 06-13-2014, 06:01 AM

I agree with everyone that you really must read through the directions thoroughly before starting. I also think that it would be a good idea to do a really simple and small pattern first to get the hang of paper piecing. Maybe one of those little "mini" packets. That way you can get all of those mistakes out of the way on something of lesser value. And, there will be mistakes and those errors usually involve cutting. I've never done a precut so don't know if they include extra pieces to allow for errors, but that might be something to check. I say give it a try...you may love it as much as I do.

Also, STAY OFF OF THE PHONE while trying to figure it out. Distractions can be fatal. I think all of my goofs can be attributed to trying to multitask while paper piecing.