Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do you choose your back fabric? >

How do you choose your back fabric?

How do you choose your back fabric?

Old 01-27-2015, 08:23 AM

you don't see both sides at the same time, so I make double sided quilts. Both pieced. And flip a coin for which side the binding favors. Half the quilting time or expense, half the storage space. I love them. I change out my bed quilts at the first of the month, during that month there are two quilts on the bed with four sides to admire, so each week those two quilts trade the spotlight
Old 01-27-2015, 10:18 AM

Almost all of my quilts are backed with Kona Premium Natural muslin. It sews wonderfully either by machine or hand. Otherwise a quality flannel with a print to co-ordinate with the top.
Old 01-27-2015, 10:54 AM
Power Poster

If it's going on a wall, bed or table, I just use a nice plain muslin because you are not going to see the back (and I'm cheap). For everything else, I will either use up the scraps from the top plus a coordinating fabric, or just a coordinating fabric.
Old 01-27-2015, 11:08 AM

That's what I did and hoping it would have helped but it didn't really.
Originally Posted by paoberle View Post
If I have several large scraps, I will piece my backing, buying only what I need to complete the backing. If I have no scraps, I may use something very different on the back. The binding will match/blend with the pieced top and the back, but I love to turn the quilt over and find a surprise. If I want the backing to blend with the top, I take my top with me and spend time laying top and potential backings together in the store.
Old 01-27-2015, 11:33 AM

I buy backing fabric that is the same as one of the fabrics in the top. That means that my backing has to be pieced; but that is fine with me. I do try to get enough fabric so that deiigns match where seamed and it is difficult to find the seam. Since I am not the greatest FMQ, I select printed fabrics that will not highlight my quilting. For solid fabric backing, I send my quilts to the LAQ.
Old 01-27-2015, 07:36 PM

As much as possible, I use 120 inch muslin. Quilting looks great on it, the color is neutral and there is no need to piece anything. froggyintexas
Old 01-27-2015, 08:18 PM

There was a time when I purchased a backing fabric to coordinate with the quilt top, but no more. I try to use as much of the scraps left over from the top and then find something from my stash to put with it.
Old 01-27-2015, 11:09 PM

. I have been known to choose that fabric I can't cut into small pieces or a pattern I want to keep whole. Some matching colours and binding goes on. I don't like pieced backings just one large piece of fabric..makes quilting easier, with less bulky seams.
Old 01-28-2015, 01:09 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
I usually buy a back with a pattern that will hide any mistakes I make quilting. I pick a colour that will look good with the binding on both sides. I also don't like to have to fiddle to get a perfectly balanced stitch so I pick a backing colour that the same thread looks good with both sides.
What Tartan said. ditto.
Old 01-28-2015, 03:15 AM

I piece my backs with blocks from the top so my backing fabric coordinates with the top and I also use the backing fabric for my binding as well.