Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do you DO this ?!?!? >

How do you DO this ?!?!?

How do you DO this ?!?!?

Old 08-30-2010, 12:23 PM

I have a design I wish to quilt onto my qiult ........ it's in a book..
How do I get it from the book to my quilt ?!?! Silly question but I cant wrap my brain around it !!!!

Do you trace a billion copies, then sew over it ??
Thanks for helping this POLOCK !!
Old 08-30-2010, 12:27 PM
Power Poster

Can you make a template, draw it on the quilt and sew over that ?

I am working on a quilt now that will have butterflies on it , I went to the library made copies of the butterfly, pin that down on each square and sew over that .

So either way guess it depends on the design
Old 08-30-2010, 02:49 PM

I would trace it onto tissue paper, then put the tissue paper right on top of the quilt top, put a few straight pins through it to hold it in place and stitch right through the tissue paper. The paper will tear right off of the quilting. We are talking tissue paper like gift wrapping tissue, so it's very thin. Use the white!! :-)
Old 08-30-2010, 02:50 PM

Neat idea of the tissue paper!
Old 08-30-2010, 02:55 PM

If you trace it onto something a little thicker--freezer paper or plastic--you can then sew over the paper with a large empty needle or cut slots in the plastic & make your own stencil to pounce with chalk or mark with a disappearing marker. I've traced onto vellum & the gift wrapping type tissue paper, taped it to my quilt & sewed over it with no problems. The thinner the paper--the easier it is to remove. I've even heard of using Press 'n' Seal to trace & sew over but I think the plastic would be hard to remove so I didn't try it.
Old 08-30-2010, 03:00 PM

I know this is crazy, but I have used that Saran Wrap clear stuff that sticks all over on the bowl tops....not just on the corners around the lids, but clings all over. Of course, I cannot remember what it is called now. Anyway, I traced over it with a permanent marker, placed it on the section I wanted to put it on, and then handquilted the pattern...
Old 08-30-2010, 03:02 PM

It's called Press and Seal! Just finally remembered....
Old 08-30-2010, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by jljack
I would trace it onto tissue paper, then put the tissue paper right on top of the quilt top, put a few straight pins through it to hold it in place and stitch right through the tissue paper. The paper will tear right off of the quilting. We are talking tissue paper like gift wrapping tissue, so it's very thin. Use the white!! :-)

If you need a lot of copies,
1. Trace the design on regular paper - something that you can see through, so you can trace the design.
2. If you plan to MACHINE QUILT, staple the copy to as many sheets of tissue paper as you'll need for your quilt. You probably only need to staple the corners - and you can just cut the staples off when you finish the next step.
3. Sew on the traced lines with an UNTHREADED needle.
4. Pin the 'sewn' design where you want to quilt, and quilt on the dotted lines.
5. If you plan to HAND QUILT, pin the traced design to freezer paper, sew with the UNTHREADED NEEDLE. Then you can pin the freezer paper to the quilt and POUNCE through the holes with powder. At the moment, I can't remember what the CHEAP alternative to the pouncing powder you can buy on-line is - but someone here on the board is likely to remind us both! LOL I do know that you can put the powder in cheesecloth and pounce on the freezer paper.
Old 08-30-2010, 06:07 PM

I trace it on the paper but instead of tissue paper I use the thin paper that Dr's use to cover their exam tables. I like that it doesn't have folds in it and I can pull off as much or little as I need. I was asking the Dr about the roll of paper hoping he would let me buy a roll & he generosly said no need to buy it and he gave me a whole roll!! :) It is a little heavier than the tissue paper but it works fine for me.
Old 08-30-2010, 06:34 PM

i would go to a office supply store and have them make larger or same size picture eigher way make more then one copy