Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
how do you find out about retreats? >

how do you find out about retreats?

how do you find out about retreats?

Old 11-07-2015, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by Material Witness View Post
Others are put on by a local guild for themselves, so everyone would know everyone else except us, and I just anticipate cliques.
You "anticipate" cliques? Meaning you're judging them to be non-inclusive, I suppose...

It's kind of a catch-22, you won't go on retreats because you don't know anyone, but you don't know anyone because you won't go on retreats. After my first retreat, (which was a blast, by the way) I knew everyone pretty well!

Maybe you could join the guild and get to know them?
Old 11-07-2015, 10:24 AM

One of my concerns in choosing retreats is accessiblity. I have difficulty with stairs. Some of the retreats are held in lovely older homes, but the up and down to bedrooms and sewing rooms just doesn't work for me. I also want access to a bathroom on the same level as the sewing area.
Old 11-07-2015, 03:41 PM

I joined a facebook group for Pacific NW quilters. Someone plans a retreat every couple of months.
I haven't gone to one yet, but I ain't dead yet either They sound like a lot of fun
Old 11-07-2015, 06:10 PM

our guild has retreats twice a year--the Spring one always fills with guild members so not open to non-members, the Fall one is open. I get a little frustrated that some go, but then complain about price, food, etc. We use a camp/conference center and a 4 day retreat is under $300--all bedding and food provided, nice lodging and we can walk, etc if desired, plus short drive to 3 different shops. Since you can't get a Motel 8 type room for much under $100 around here, can't understand their viewpoint!
I'd suggest you go on-line to several shops in your area and bookmark them and sure you'll find a retreat. Or what about getting together few quilting friends and set up your own retreat?
Old 11-08-2015, 05:05 AM

Well established Bible camp and retreat centers often have quilting retreats in the off seasons in order to utilize the facilities after all the kids are back at school. Also, many of the LQS have classrooms or offsite rooms in which you can hold your own retreat in-town retreat, and sleep in your own bed... (my favorite type of retreat.)
Old 11-08-2015, 05:09 AM

I shop at Tidewater Sew n Vac and I'm on there email list so they send me everything that's coming up and that they sponsor. They do Floriani, Anita Goodesigns, John Deer, etc. You can check local fabric shops and see if they offer them and then get on their email list as well. The same goes for the yearly quilt show, once you are on the email list you will know where all of them are.
Old 11-08-2015, 05:49 AM

Default retreats

Originally Posted by Cybrarian View Post
I've been looking and looking for one in southeast (FL, GA, N & SC, TN, or KY) reasonably priced in the summer for my sister and I, but can't find anything. Anyone have any suggestions?

It isn't in the summer, but there is a wonderful retreat held each year in Toccoa, GA. Google quiltingintoccoa and you will find all the information. Held at a beautiful Baptist retreat center. Great hotel and rate includes lodging, food and a small added fee if you want to take a class. This year it is Nov. 9-12. Groups come from NC, SC, GA and FL that I know of.
Old 11-08-2015, 08:21 AM

Thanks to everyone for the information. I am planning to find a retreat and go next year. They sound wonderful and you have given me enough leads that I am sure to find one I like. Thanks again
Old 11-08-2015, 10:16 AM

The quilt shop in Monticello, WI runs a retreat house which is near New Glarus. It is called Fern Hill. It is set up with great spaces to quilt and the house is beautiful. The former quilt shop in Janesville, WI has been transformed into a quilt retreat. It has many steps. At Evansville, WI, an assisted living building has been transformed into a retreat center. Everyone has their own room and bathroom. I have done several retreats with Donna Slater ([email protected])at Merrimac WI and have been happy with those. You can work on your own project or the group project. No cliques, lots of laughing and fun sewing. Our local library allows us to use a meeting room once a month at no charge. You can order lunch from the library bistro or brown bag. Good tables for sewing, laying out quilts for basting. Not everyone brings a machine, some hand baste, some knit, whatever you feel like that month. There is no"membership" or fees, just show up and enjoy the fellowship.
Old 11-08-2015, 12:55 PM

You're in a super part of the country for retreats, it seems. I live in MN part-time and always see word of retreats. I googled "quilt retreats" to find one I attended down south recently. Your LQS might have a bulletin board? My guild has their own retreat every spring. another idea--I have friends who get together, a group of five or 6, and rent a condo on the beach or in the mountains and have their own retreat.