Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do you handle jelly rolls, etc >

How do you handle jelly rolls, etc

How do you handle jelly rolls, etc

Old 09-01-2016, 10:16 AM

Default How do you handle jelly rolls, etc

Because of some health issues I have had to use some precuts.
-- When you get jelly rolls or honey buns, do you open them even if you aren't ready to use them or do you store them all wrapped up?
-- How do you store either the wrapped or unwrapped strips?
-- When you cut your own strips (DD can help me with cutting) do you straight cut the edges or use a pinking blade?
-- I have similar questions about the squares -- do you try to find containers the correct size and store them flat or ?????

Thanks much.
Old 09-01-2016, 10:21 AM
Power Poster

I wouldn't pink the edges on anything used for piecing and am annoyed when a jelly roll comes that way.

I seldom buy pre-cuts, but when I do I leave the jelly rolls rolled up until I'm ready to use them, and I just stack others on the open shelves in my quilting room.
Old 09-01-2016, 10:23 AM
Power Poster

I store mine wrapped up in a fabric drawer where my pre-cuts are. It is just easier to keep them all together that way. When I use a few of the strips I just roll it back up and keep it that way.
Old 09-01-2016, 10:38 AM

Are you kidding? I have to unwrap the whole thing and look at all the beautiful fabrics! Then reroll the jelly roll somehow. Just did 2 different jelly rolls. Will post pictures after I get the borders on. Boy were they an easy way to sew a quilt together.
Old 09-01-2016, 10:38 AM

I keep them on a precut's shelf in my sewing room. For me the joy of them is having an entire line at my disposal when I am making a quilt. If I separated them, I would be tempted to use only some and not all of them.
Old 09-01-2016, 11:03 AM

What I do:

1) leave jelly rolls rolled. It's easier to store.
2) You can store them "naked" or put them in a zip lock bag
3) cut my own - I use an accuquilt studio die to cut 2.5 inch strips no pinking. I got the accuquilt because of health issues - fibro, neuropathy, arthritis. It's pricey, but worth it to me,
4) squares - store as bought or cut, put in a zip lock bag if you think you need to. When I cut my own, I tie them together with a strip of selvage. I don't roll them, but you could.

Hope this is helpful!
Old 09-01-2016, 11:05 AM

I keep my jelly rolls rolled up in a drawer until I'm ready to use them. What I like about storing the jelly rolls rolled up is that it's easy to see the relative values of the individual strips that way without getting distracted by the patterns on the individual strips, helps me with my design process.

Fat quarters get folded to fit the drawer they go in and are stored on end with the fold side up so I can see immediately what I've got when I open the drawer without having to pull out stacks of fabric.

I store my other precuts (both store bought and ones I make from scraps) flat in a drawer. I store my homemade precuts and leftovers from store-bought packages of precuts by value, so I have stacks of lights, med. and darks in the various sizes that I like to use. It makes it quick and easy to pull together a scrappy quilt since they're stored by size and value.

All my "precuts" and fat quarters are stored in one small 4 drawer unit, that way I can keep the dust off and don't have to worry about fading from sunlight. I can pull out the individual drawers and take them right over to my sewing machine or design wall when I'm ready to play with them.

Rob
<object type="cosymantecnisbfw" cotype="cs" id="SILOBFWOBJECTID" style="width: 0px; height: 0px; display: block;"></object>
Old 09-01-2016, 11:15 AM

I keep my jelly rolls wrapped up and on a shelf. Two wire baskets hold charm squares. I crocheted some square baskets the size of a folded FQ. The FQ's stand on end so I can see them. All the baskets share a shelf.
Old 09-01-2016, 11:38 AM
Power Poster

I use a scarf holder to keep my stips wrinkle free. They are inexpensive and the flocked covered ones keep the strips from falling out. One will hold a lot of jelly roll strips.

The ones I bought are round and cost a $1 at Fred's Discount store. Looks like a daisy. I've seen them rectangle and square with many more compartments. Mine are so full I think I may have to invest in heavy duty ones before the hanger fall out.

Last edited by Onebyone; 09-01-2016 at 11:44 AM.
Old 09-01-2016, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by rryder View Post
I keep my jelly rolls rolled up in a drawer until I'm ready to use them. What I like about storing the jelly rolls rolled up is that it's easy to see the relative values of the individual strips that way without getting distracted by the patterns on the individual strips, helps me with my design process.

Fat quarters get folded to fit the drawer they go in and are stored on end with the fold side up so I can see immediately what I've got when I open the drawer without having to pull out stacks of fabric.

I store my other precuts (both store bought and ones I make from scraps) flat in a drawer. I store my homemade precuts and leftovers from store-bought packages of precuts by value, so I have stacks of lights, med. and darks in the various sizes that I like to use. It makes it quick and easy to pull together a scrappy quilt since they're stored by size and value.

All my "precuts" and fat quarters are stored in one small 4 drawer unit, that way I can keep the dust off and don't have to worry about fading from sunlight. I can pull out the individual drawers and take them right over to my sewing machine or design wall when I'm ready to play with them.

Rob
<object type="cosymantecnisbfw" cotype="cs" id="SILOBFWOBJECTID" style="width: 0px; height: 0px; display: block;"></object>
I pretty much store mine like Rob does.