Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do you handle jelly rolls, etc >

How do you handle jelly rolls, etc

How do you handle jelly rolls, etc

Old 09-01-2016, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by sewingitalltogether View Post
Are you kidding? I have to unwrap the whole thing and look at all the beautiful fabrics! Then reroll the jelly roll somehow. Just did 2 different jelly rolls. Will post pictures after I get the borders on. Boy were they an easy way to sew a quilt together.
LOL.....kid at Christmas, sewingitalltogether? LOL
Old 09-01-2016, 04:22 PM

Thanks. So far I have unrolled 2 trying to get them back into a roll was a challenge. Looking at storage on Amazon, I saw this long, narrow plastic box for 2.5" strips (it is the size of WOF folded). Has anyone tried them? I was thinking they might work for the ones I cut.

Tesspug, I wish I could crochet, but I am thinking that I could make a fabric box that is similar.

Cathvv -- I am saving my pennies for the electric Accuquilt -- maybe I will ask for it come Christmas.

I have some drawers in my closet that I think I will clean out and put the precuts in -- my organized self likes that. Our Dollar Tree has some plastic baskets -- maybe they will fit in the drawers to keep the charms organized.

Thanks for the ideas -- looking forward to hearing other ideas as well.
Old 09-01-2016, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
I wouldn't pink the edges on anything used for piecing and am annoyed when a jelly roll comes that way.

I seldom buy pre-cuts, but when I do I leave the jelly rolls rolled up until I'm ready to use them, and I just stack others on the open shelves in my quilting room.
VERY annoying when they come pinked! Where is your measurement? Just inside the pinking? On the outside? Splitting the difference? I bought two of the Northcott precuts, and not only were they pinked, they weren't a consistent 2 1/2 inches. If I have to recut them, it doesn't save me any time.
Old 09-01-2016, 05:12 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by QuiltnLady1 View Post
Thanks. So far I have unrolled 2 trying to get them back into a roll was a challenge. Looking at storage on Amazon, I saw this long, narrow plastic box for 2.5" strips (it is the size of WOF folded). Has anyone tried them? I was thinking they might work for the ones I cut...
I received this storage box as a gift. I cut all my own strips with my Accucut (straight not pinked edges). I can't make those cute rolls, so having the box let me lay the strips flat and keep them flat and ready to use. The box is pricey, however, and I'm not sure I'd buy it if I didn't get it as a gift. Before, I got it, I just loosely folded it in thirds and stored them in a plasic shoe box. If they were stored for a while, I had to re iron some of them.
Old 09-01-2016, 07:36 PM

I leave them packaged until I may use them.

When I cut my own strips I use my Accquilt and it cuts straight edges.

I love Iris scrap booking totes for quilting projects. Easy to see what is inside, stack beautifully and often on sale at Michaels. I sometimes will buy the jelly roll and charm pack and or layer cake and co-ordinating fabrics. I put the co-ordinates all in one tote. If I have a pattern in mind I will put it in there too.

Having said, I discovered that the small square containers for green salad mix from the grocery store are the perfect sixe for charm (5" squares), I put orphan ones in on, it will take me a long time to fill it up.

If I do not use all the strips in a jelly roll, they go into a bin, generally folded in 1/4 and stacked. If there are left over co-ordinates, they all go together.
Old 09-02-2016, 10:08 AM

I store the very few jelly rolls I have in a basket on display in my sewing room. I store my 2.5" and 2" squares in divided silverware trays from the thrift store. They fit perfectly in the sections and I can sort by color per section.

I bought one of those 10 drawer roller stands at JAF when it was on clearance and I keep all my other sized squares in there, one or two sizes per drawer. Being a scrappy quilter, I cut my scraps into the closest size square I can.
Old 09-02-2016, 10:20 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
I wouldn't pink the edges on anything used for piecing and am annoyed when a jelly roll comes that way.

I seldom buy pre-cuts, but when I do I leave the jelly rolls rolled up until I'm ready to use them, and I just stack others on the open shelves in my quilting room.
Same here. One thing I learned the hard way: always measure the precuts. They do not always measure true. Found that out in a woven pattern where I mixed precuts with home cuts. The precuts turned out to be oversized.
Old 09-02-2016, 10:38 AM

I like the Iris or Art Bin scrapbooking storage containers. See through, sturdy, stackable, very portable ( the Art Bin brand have nice handles), and they snap shut. I like the ones that are marketed for 12x12 scrapbook paper storage, because they're really 14" square so the hold a lot of whatever I have cut (strips, charms, candies) and I can keep an entire project together in one. I don't have many yet ( I've used other storage methods from shoeboxes to baskets, but when one of those spills, Look out! I nearly lose my Christianity.

No, I don't like pinked edges.

So far I've not bought pre-cuts, but if I do, I will have to open them immediately and pet them and drool. Then I would store them together with their label for reference in one of the Art Bins I mentioned .
Old 09-02-2016, 10:56 AM

I don't unwrap Jelly Rolls until I'm ready to use them. I store some of them in tall clear cannisters, in which I can stack 3 jelly rolls. Once they've been unwrapped I store them in Strip boxes that I bought from either Keepsake Quilting or Nancy's Notions. Can't remember which. I also have art bin boxes that have dividers that I store Charm Squares and Fat Quarters in. [ATTACH=CONFIG]557349[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]557353[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]557354[/ATTACH]
In December we will be going down to Florida for the winter. I take only precuts because in our little house down there I don't have a large table to lay out yardage for cutting. So I just grab these boxes, stack them in the trunk of the car and a box of notions and off we go.
Attached Thumbnails img_1149.jpg   img_1147-1-.jpg   img_1148.jpg  
Old 09-02-2016, 01:24 PM

zozee reminded me of the Art Bin containers. I do love them too, and I use them for squares 10" and over. I also use them for orphan blocks and sample blocks.
I forgot to mention that I keep FQs in CD storage racks that spin and hold lots of them. I have posted photos before in the organizing thread.

And, I agree, I do not like pinked edges either.