Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How or do you label your quilts? >

How or do you label your quilts?

How or do you label your quilts?

Old 06-16-2013, 01:41 PM

I make a personalized label in Photoshop, choosing my favorite fonts and embellishments. Then, I print it out on paper and trace it onto a contrasting fabric with a simple, ball-point pen. Lastly, I embroider over it, so no one will ever see the ink and blanket stitch it onto the back of the quilt.
~ Cindy
Old 06-16-2013, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn View Post
I pay sewnsewer2 here on the board to machine embroider mine!
I do this for special quilts, too. She does beautiful work and is priced right.

For general quilts, I use a pigma pen right on the back of the quilt. Nothing to sew and nothing that can be removed.
Old 06-16-2013, 01:48 PM

Lots of good ideas! I am going to contact sewnsewer2 to hopefully see what this looks like.
Old 06-16-2013, 02:11 PM

I prefer to take a square of fabric (something I used on the front) and fold it in half diagonally to form a triangle. I use a pigma pen (I think that is what its called ) and write all the pertinent information...name of quilt, my name, date, and place (in case I ever move away ) and I add a doodle. I sew the two rough edges into the corner of the quilt within where my binding sewing line will be using a zig zag. Then I add the binding. That secures it on two edges and then I hand sew the diagonal edge in place.

All my quilts have two edges of the label sewn to the quilt under the binding, if I keep it consistent then I'll remember 30 years from now...hopefully.
Old 06-16-2013, 02:14 PM

......Ditto
Old 06-17-2013, 04:22 AM

I use fabric from my quilt and design my own labels. I use the Edwardian Script on my computer for the lettering, then I hand embroider it or use the Pigma pens.
Old 06-17-2013, 04:51 AM
Power Poster

I have fabric that I bought just for labels. I cut them 6 x 9. I write the info on and set the ink. This may seem very large, but I put a lot of information on my quilts.
Old 06-17-2013, 05:01 AM

I sign and date on the lower right corner of the top itself and include quilter if I've sent it out. I make double sided quilts so doesn't matter which side.
Old 06-17-2013, 05:14 AM
Power Poster

When I was up north, my SIL and DB had a family cookout so I could see everyone. She showed me a quilt given to her by her mother. She said she was a little sad that she couldn't find the label. There was nothing on the back. It was a beautiful Dresden pattern on white. Looked on the front lower right hand corner Dresden was the label in the center of it. Her mother had embroidered it. She pulled out another quilt given to her and we found the label embroidered also in the lower right hand corner of GMG in the petals. There was also other information other places in the quilt. Different initials for those who worked on the quilt.
Old 06-17-2013, 06:00 PM

SewnSewer2 has been making all my labels. At guild meetings her labels draw more attention and compliments than my quilts ) She does lovely work and is turns them around very fast. In fact another label is winging it's way from her to me again! You won't be disappointed with her work!