Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do you organize your fabric scraps? >

How do you organize your fabric scraps?

How do you organize your fabric scraps?

Old 09-18-2014, 10:24 AM

I cut mine into 2.5 inch strips and 5 inch squares.I am too lazy to do too many sizes and I love making log cabins so strips work for me.Really just cut the sizes you use the most.
Old 09-18-2014, 10:55 AM

I also cut 6.5 in squares. I no longer cut 2.5 squares, but I have a bin of 2.5 strips. I then just cut from those strips as I need them into squares. I have also play around with 2 in wide strips that I use for piano keys borders. I really develop my choices by what "I" tend to use often. Happy organizing!
Old 09-18-2014, 07:30 PM

I organize by color in a plastic chest--one drawer for each color. Complete project or what could become a complete project get stored in a china cabinet. All strips of 3" width or less (length only needs to be longer than width) go into a drawer for string blocks regardless of color. Flannels and non-cottons are stored separately.
Old 09-18-2014, 07:37 PM
Power Poster

Yes....when I read the first part of your post "how do you organise your fabric scraps" my first thought was "bizarrely"...can't begin to describe it.
Old 09-18-2014, 08:45 PM

For me, not necessarily. I am cutting most of mine into strips--as one person above said, you can easily cut the squares from the strips.

I am focusing on 2.5", 2" and 1.5" strips. Crumbs and strings are in separate bags. Am not sure I will ever actually use the strings except in crumb blocks, though.
Old 09-18-2014, 09:19 PM

As close as I come to sorting is, so far a clear shoe box of extra bindings, a dresser for 3+yardage with one drawer for interfacing, muslin and doilies. A clear container for Christmas fabrics another for felt and a shelf full of FQ, another for charm packs, and one big container for 1-2yrd pieces all the rest are just stuffed in boxes like when I pain $30 for a 50# box of various scraps from where I can't remember. Yes my room is a total disaster but moving some into a room I'm converting into a sewing room but with the machines I have not much will be making the new move lol.
Jeri
Old 09-19-2014, 10:19 PM

I have combined Joan Ford's and Bonnie Hunters way of organization, a little of both of their ideas and then fit it to what my type of quilting requires; scrappy and traditional. I also have an embroidery machine and save for in the hoop stuff. As I come across patterns or pictures of quilts or projects that I want to make I keep it in front of me, on my fridge, on my desk, on my wall, any place where I see it often. If I still like it after a week or so it goes to my scrap bin, then when I am cutting I have an idea of the size to cut and there go my scraps. I like cutting with a purpose in mind. I use a lot of leaders and enders and found if I store them already matched with a dark and light square together life is really good.
Old 09-20-2014, 02:49 AM

I never "stuff" scraps as I hate ironing them! I used to do that, but decided it was much easier to use them if I folded them and stacked them. I only precut scraps when I am cutting for another quilt and I have a WOF piece left, then I might cut it into squares of that width and keep the squares together to be used later.

Small (tiny) scraps I keep neatly stacked together to be used for crazy quilt patterns or other small-scrap quilts. Scraps at least a Fat Eighth up to less than a yard, I keep together in bins. Yardage is kept separately in another bin. I am a ridiculous hoarder of scraps and keep all pieces that measure one inch wide or larger. I am making a crazy quilt from mini blocks that measure just 3.5 inches when finished. I am in no hurry to finish this quilt (good thing, too!).

Attached Thumbnails 4-mini-crazy.jpg  
Old 09-20-2014, 05:34 AM

Maine quilt company, I love your minis. Love the random. See my mind would go, Oh! Can't put red there, just had red. Also love your I spy effect.

Cute. Effective. Great plan. It'll be a darling quilt.