Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do you organize your fabric scraps? >

How do you organize your fabric scraps?

How do you organize your fabric scraps?

Old 09-18-2014, 04:14 AM

I cut mine into 2 1/2 3 1/2, 5 1/2 and 6 1/2 instrips. Then I can cut square from these. It has come in very handy to be able to pull from these.I was able to cut a quilt out in less than 2 hours.
Old 09-18-2014, 04:52 AM

Interesting how people sort. I use Bonnie Hunters system. A few years back a wonderful lqs near me started selling leftovers by the yards. Laying out the pieces and charging 2.95 a yard. I went nuts. I do so love scrappy quilts. I bought probably 200 yds and have an awesome scrap collection. As soon as I got them home I ironed and then cut them in 1 1/2" , 2 1/2", 2" strips. I don't cut squares. If I need them I have my strips. I did do a swap where we swapped lozenges 31/2 x 5 1/2 and I have a box of them. And when I need mindless sewing I make hst. I just finished an Ocean Waves with 4,000+ hst and I have a box more. I also loved Bonnies leader/ender from last year, the split nine patch and have been making them. I probably have 4 or 5 projects put away with all pieces done, just need put together. My scraps are saved differently. My 1 1/2" are in a huge tub sort of sorted into med to darks. My neutrals are in another box, rolled up in a wheel - saw this somewhere and wanted to try it. My 2" is in a laundry sorting bag stand I got from the $ store. This is also sorted in light/med, med, dark with my 2" and 2 1/2" neutrals seperated in another large container. My 2 1/2" are in another container darks in one, med in another. Then there is my string container. This thing is huge and getting bigger. Again my neutrals in one, other colors in the other. It does work for me because otherwise my fabric would strangle me. I have several cabinets that are sorted by color for smaller - less than 36", and my closet has my larger pieces - my husband converted an old tv cabinet into fabric storage. It's pretty and useful.
Old 09-18-2014, 05:12 AM

I put small scraps that are still useable in one bin and large pieces in another. I do not sub cut until I need that scrap if it is bigger than the small ones. Teeny ones go into the bin for stuffing per pillows.
Old 09-18-2014, 06:32 AM

The option I'm going with is 2.5" squares. I am using some for a Grandmothers Flower Garden. 2.5" squares are perfect for 1" hexies (measure the flat side, not across). Also amd going to make a postage stamp quilt (I know the "stamps" are suppose to be 1" but hey...... I "try" to cut my squares after each project. Here is how I am organizing, I now have 3 boxes!! I do not have a stash per say. I purchase for the quilt I am making. Now why are there 2 pictures???????
Attached Thumbnails b-001.jpg  
Old 09-18-2014, 06:49 AM

I have that book too, isn't it great ? Still have not organized my scraps like she suggests, sort of like Bonnie Hunter suggests too.
Old 09-18-2014, 07:20 AM

I do 5" and 3.5" squares. I even up strips, but don't cut them to a specific width (I make string blocks, so the width isn't important). Anything bigger I leave whole. I organize by size rather than color.
Old 09-18-2014, 08:00 AM

My scraps are in a plastic bin and to organize them I put the lid on, that way they can't jump out when they multiply! haha.
Old 09-18-2014, 08:45 AM

I toss scraps big enough to use in a bottom drawer. When the drawer is full, I transfer to a garbage bag; I keep the bags in my bedroom closet. When the closet gets full, I guess I will list a bag on ReUseIt (a very handy yahoo group resource), which I have done before. I don't know if I will ever get to making a scrap quilt, and there's only so much room in our house.
Old 09-18-2014, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by AlvaStitcher View Post
Recently I checked a book out from the library written by Joan Ford titled, Cut the Scraps! She suggests cutting scraps into 2", 3.5" & 5" squares. For those of you that quilt much more than I do, do you think these are very useful sizes? What are the most popular sizes used in quilts? If there is one.

I am trying to put some order to my scrap bin. Right now all the scraps are stuffed (and I do mean stuffed) into a plastic file folder bin. They are a wrinkled mess and need to sorted by color. These scraps are all less than fat quarter size and maybe most are smaller than an eighth. Those pieces larger than this are kept in bins with yardage sorted by color.

Suggestions appreciated. Throwing them out is not an option! LOL

Karen
i throw my smaller than an eighth scraps folded into a bin and when the bin is full, I offer it here for postage to quilters who leave posts about not being able to afford fabric. When I pack the box for shipping I always try to include a couple larger pieces for them. I am nearly ready to send another.
Old 09-18-2014, 09:41 AM

I do pretty much the same as Buckeye Rose as I can. I have a large tub of scraps, plus several paper boxes so they have gotten out of hand completely. Am going to have to get serious about getting them organized. I store them in plastic boxes (shoe size) by the sizes I have cut. I figure if I can get a 10 in square out first I can always utilize it in many ways, same with the larger squares until I get to the 5 inch size or less. Then they get cut and in their proper box. I keep telling myself one of these days I will get them under control but I think they breed overnight like fleas (grin).